Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adopting pets from a animal shelter

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Z3PR, May 19, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm thinking about getting a kitten from a local animal shelter. Anyone got a pet from one of those places ??

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Got my oldest dawg from the SPCA 8 years ago. Can't really give ya any hints on picking a cat, this dawg doesn't care, they all taste the same /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Actually though, the way I picked him was this. I went through the whole compound looking at all the dawgs. I was intent on getting a Shepard, no Shepards. A lot of dawgs were really loud and noisy and really wanted to come home with me. This one though was back in the corner, really looked pathetic. So the girl tied him up and couldn't move him, so I went in and picked him up. Took about a day to be friends and to this day, I wouldn't want to take my choice back. Just gonna hate the day when it's him time to take the journey.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Most of my pets came from animal shelters. All have made wonderful pets. With cats, expect to have to treat them for upper respiraotry disease, it's like the flu and must be treated so it doesn't develop into something that will kill them. Pretty much any cat from a shelter will have this. It is easily cured with antibiotics ("Cefa drops", an antibiotic, usually).

Dont' let that put you off from getting a cat there. You'll have a high probablility of any cat you get anywhere having it.

The best cat I ever had (still have him) was so sick when I got him that they almost put him down before I took him. But he is the best - polite, kind, affectionate but not demanding, smart. Like a smart dog. And I almost lost out on having him. What a shame that would have been (for me!)

Go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Most of my pets came from animal shelters. All have made wonderful pets. With cats, expect to have to treat them for upper respiratory disease, it's like the flu and must be treated so it doesn't develop into something that will kill them. Pretty much any cat from a shelter will have this. It is easily cured with antibiotics ("Cefa drops", an antibiotic, usually).

Dont' let that put you off from getting a cat there. You'll have a high probablility of any cat you get anywhere having it.

The best cat I ever had (still have him) was so sick when I got him that they almost put him down before I took him. But he is the best - polite, kind, affectionate but not oppressively demanding, smart. Like a smart dog. And I almost lost out on having him. What a shame that would have been (for me!)

Go for it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Check people that have gotten pets from the shelter and make sure it's clean. I got a dog from a shelter that had parvo. Parvo is a disease that is difficult to control and highly contagious. It is likely that every animal in that place was cycled into a parvo virus and then it didn't show up till they were put down. This deal wreaked havoc on my house. See, I had another dog and not only did I spend around $100 on a damn pound mutt that died anyways, but I spent another $50 getting my beloved best friend Shiner immunized. When I went back to the pound, they just gave me "credit for another dog". I told them about their problem and they got very rude and defensive and basically snotty about MY attitude. Then I did some research and found several other people that have had the same problem with that particular pound. What BS! They should have put every animal in there down and started over...just inexcusable.

Anyway, there's my rant. I've never heard a similar story about a pound anywhere else, so your odds are pretty slim, however it IS something that you might want to research FIRST.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just gonna hate the day when it's him time to take the journey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost Shiner to yet another bullshit episode (this time with the neighbors dumping carpet cleaners out in their backyard. My house was in the low spot of the block so when it rained, it all pooled in my backyard. Shiner loved running and playing and lapping it up...)That was over a year ago today and I still miss him terribly. I was really attached to that dog and would have done anything to keep him. He was 3 when he died and I spent 2 weeks keeping him alive with ensure mixed with liver rebuilding dog food...mixed in a blender and injected down his throat with a large meat baster. He went to the vet everyday for an IV, but his system just wouldn't take hold... It just wasn't enough....man damn I miss that dog. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

We have a dog and 2 cats from a shelter. I couldn't have paid for a better dog

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

mine was probably my bad luck working me over again. Somehow the good karma fairy must have been smiling on me the day i met you, cause under normal circumstances, i'd have blown out all 4 tires on the right side of the truck/trailer hitting the curb/cement blocks thing like i did...you have no idea. LOL

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Some good friends almost lost a timber wolf cub/pup to Parvo. So yeah, I know what that is. They had a hard time finding a vet that would treat him sence he is a wolf.

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Go for it. Make sure you head right to the vet when you pick him up 'cuz you really don't know when he's been.

Most vets will only charge you a couple of bucks to give your new cat a quick check-up. They might even do it for free if you go ahead and start his innoculations.

I've had cat's all my life and most of them just walked in the door one day but I've picked up 2 of them from the Pound. The last one I got from the Pound is almost totally black, except for a dark brown patch on his chest. I was there looking for a neighbors cat. (She was trapped at a nearby apartment complex. We found her there.) As we were standing next to one of the isles of cages, this little monster reached out of his cage and smacked me on the back of my head! He had a <font color="blue"> BLUE </font> tag on his cage, which meant that he was next in line. The person at the desk said that he was scheduled to be put down the next morning. I paid them a few bucks and took him to the vet (have the vet check for worms too) and he's been a great cat ever since.

The best part is that once you get them out of the Pound and give them a treat, they think you are their hero for getting them out of that hell-hole.

Post some pic's when you go pick him/her up.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm searching for a Siamese or a ragdoll kitten. So it may be awhile befor I find one. I plan on going down to the animal shelter this afternoon. If they have one,(Friend said they had some Siamese kittens last week) I'll go strait to the vet from there.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got my youngest bloodhound from a pound. shortly afterwards i found out why he was there. he can jump a 5' fence!! and thats a 130lb dog!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif thanks to the shock collar he doesnt do that anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif hes a really good dog now.