Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advance Adapters /NV4500* UPDATE*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Nov 26, 2001.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was just curious if anyone has had any dealings with advance adapters that was good or bad?

I sent them an e-mail regarding their NV4500/NP205 adapter that requires the removal of the tranny balancer, and the problems that have been attributed to that, and just asked what their thoughts were on removing the balancer in regards to their product.

So far, I have yet to receive an e-mail, and if I were AA, I'd respond immediately (if I had confidence in my product) with a resounding, "hell no there is no problem with our product" but yet I hear nothing back. To me, it so far indicates no confidence, or unwillingness to open themselves up to incrimination. Either that or they just don't check e-mail, or reply.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by dyeager535 on 11/29/01 01:25 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Advance Adapters not confident in product?

Call their toll free number and talk with a rep. I have had excellent service from them and found them great to deal with. Their products are very good quality.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Ditto on talking with the rep. When I ordered the output shaft for the 700R4 to NP205, the rep was very helpful and full of information on the phone.

4. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had very good feedback from the people at AA. I have called them on many occasions regarding my NV4500 swap and they were very informative. I would strongly suggest calling them and talking directly to someone. Have a list ready with your questions and concerns and they should be able to help. As far as the removal of the dampner goes, the Dodge version NV4500 has never had it and the newer GM NV4500 does not come equipped with it either. I believe GM quit using it in 96 or 97. My 98 version did not come with it. Hope this helps.

I may be slow, but I sure am fat!

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

GM spec say the trany damper is only used with non gas motors! My NV4500 came with one which I removed about 12k miles ago also 4 or 5 rear 12 bolt ago. And the dodge ver. never had one.

72 Blazer CST 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

6. dyeager535

Sounds like they just don't check e-mail. If the adapters weren't needed, why did the first ones have them at all? Not being snotty, but I don't know a lot about their history, just that they started out with balancers. Was there an internal change that made the balancer unnecessary, or did they just figure out it was overkill? (no such thing, but oh well : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Dodge never used them. Only GM. Was it over kill if you ever hold one of the 30 lbs thing in your hands you would think so. Why was it there and why only on GM 4 wheel drive, then only on non gas 4 wheel drives I dont know. By the way it down to being used only on some apps of the 4 wheel drive with non gas motors now.

72 Blazer CST 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

8. dyeager535

Only fair that I update this. I got an e-mail back from Advance adapters, basically saying the same thing I heard here..some applications didn't have them in the first place, and that advance adapters is confident that their product does not cause problems.

One thing I didn't question as folks replied was that if they aren't necessary, why they are STILL used only on some applications. I still ahve to ask, why the difference? If they are used on diesels, well, thats a lot of low end torque.

At this point its more curiosity as to why they are used, but it still seems odd that they are used in some applications, and not in others. Sounds to me like "the minimum cash outlay needed to keep the vehicle from coming back under warranty", but if thats what GM or NV was concerned with, yet again, why a balancer on only some?

Think maybe I'll try and contact New Venture : )

Dorian

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let us know what you find out.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

10. dyeager535

Just got an e-mail back from New Venture

"Second, I believe the internal balancer (damper) was put there to control
    gear rattle behind a diesel engine, tune the clutch, and reduce driveline
    clunk. Removing it may result in more noise. If the damper (balancer) is
    removed, a spacer should be installed in it's place. I believe we have (or
    had) service parts that were used on gas applications in the place of the
    damper. If the balancer is on the yoke, we also have the same part in
    production without the damper portion."

So....when the balancer is removed, does Advance sell the "spacer" he mentions?

Dorian

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I believe AA sells a new mainshaft thats shorter. This helps shorten a long tranny quite a bit.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

They do sell the spacer. I have one somewhere that I didn't need. It came with the kit I got.

If I find it, I'll send it to you.

You pay shipping and it's free! Sound like a deal?

I won't be able to look until around 17 Dec when I get back home.

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As already stated in one of these posts, it's not uncommon for manufacturers to install dampner/balancers on driveline components to reduce the NVH level (noise, vibration, and harshness). Most of the time it's simply to make the vehicle quieter or to get rid of slight vibrations which some drivers might find objectionable. In these cases there are no durability issues when the dampners are removed.