Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

advantage of dual shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Sep 28, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i ordered some rancho 5012s (still at friends house) then a few days ago on ranchos site that the 5012 are specially valve for use with multipul shocks /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

so i got to thinking, what are the advantage of dual shocks besided looks? i think i would be able to jump it and not have as much problem blowing the shocks out or breaking them, (twice as much piston volume /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif)

any thing else? i may just order another set and throw those on as well.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so i got to thinking, what are the advantage of dual shocks besided looks? i think i would be able to jump it and not have as much problem blowing the shocks out or breaking them, (twice as much piston volume )

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, no and especially with those crap 5000's. You'll start breaking stuff on the frame, ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

If ya want to jump, step up in shock class a little bit and get a shock that is higher quality like the Bilsteins.

3. big83chevy4x4

that makes sence. i just don't have the money for bilstens or the like, i paid nothing for the shocks that i got, traded a bunch of 6 lug wheels that i coundn't even use for a set of rs5000 of my choise.

but since the shocks i have a valved for such, should i go dual? this will matter for the shock brackets i use, ford towers or make my own.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by adding another crappy twin tube shock to the assembly.

A larger bore monotube will help you gain control if that's what you're after.

Suspension movement without control is essentially worthless in my opinion. Shocks are so important to the proper operation of your suspension, its amazing the difference you will see when you change it.

I can't wait to tear down my suspension this winter and get some 5150s on mine. It'll be an entirely different truck when I'm done.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine handles and rides a tad better after I went dual upfront, plus it looks better.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Duals are less prone to heat fade cause each shock is only doing half the work. I think duals are over-rated for most use. As for what to expect, crap shocks are well... crap shocks. I am not saying don't run them I use the rebadged version called the pro-crap 3000. It is a little stiff to say the least. A nice shock like a bilstien will compliment a nice spring (52's, BDS, TC-EZ, ect). It won't do as much on a cheap spring (pro-comp, rough country, ect).

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ok so think about this. If you have 1 adjsutable shock on the softest setting, and you add another on the softest setting, it rides better now. Couldnt you have just turned up the one shock to make it a little harder in the first place?

Reason I ask is because my buddy added dual shocks, and I think it was worthless when he could have just made the 1 shock frimer.

Am I right or not?

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine handles and rides a tad better after I went dual upfront, plus it looks better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I go play in the desert with it?

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

yeah right...you'll lose all the armor all off the tires /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Only reasons for multiple shocks are to get firmer valving or to spread the heat load out. For what we do, stiff enough valving isn't too big a deal, heavier trucks that are used hard may want more than you can get in a 2" body but most of the time a single 2" shock will do it.
    If you're looking at heat problems, you'll be farther ahead buying a single good shock than multiple twin tubes since a gas monotube shock is much more fade resistant.

The days of 10 zillion shocks are gone, even desert race trucks are down to running 1 or 2 shocks these days. They're really cool shocks, but they still only run one or two.

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know what you would do with it, there's no mud or sleds to pull out in the desert. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah right...you'll lose all the armor all off the tires /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]After looking at your gallery, yours could use a little tire shine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know what you would do with it, there's no mud or sleds to pull out in the desert. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what the hell you'd be pulling the sled with a rig at 106.5" wheelbase for anyway, especially not one with boggers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know what the hell you'd be pulling the sled with a rig at 106.5" wheelbase for anyway, especially not one with boggers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Can't pull it far enough, thats why I'm tossing in the towel on the K5 and am very close to buyiing a 2001 Dodge quad cab long bed 2500 4x4 with a 24v cummins of course. The one I am probably going to purchase is red, sport package, and black leather.
    http://www.cypressautosales.com/showitem.cfm?itemnum=616.0
    Should have it here in a week or two.

15. big83chevy4x4

i think i will make my own mounts and try a single shock on it and see how i like it. then i always can put the other one on it and try that out also.

i wish i could afford some bilstiens, but like i said i got these preaty much for free.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd see just how many seconds those fancy dual shocks would last before they started blowing up................

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

17. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought mine rode about 100% better without the duals. Flexes better for sure /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Can't pull it far enough, thats why I'm tossing in the towel on the K5 and am very close to buyiing a 2001 Dodge quad cab long bed 2500 4x4 with a 24v cummins of course. The one I am probably going to purchase is red, sport package, and black leather.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happenned to the 2004? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can't pull it far enough, thats why I'm tossing in the towel on the K5 and am very close to buyiing a 2001 Dodge quad cab long bed 2500 4x4 with a 24v cummins of course. The one I am probably going to purchase is red, sport package, and black leather.

[/ QUOTE ]

What happenned to the 2004? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    It was an 03 and I only drove it because IIRC it has the exact same power numbers as an 01 and 02, I just wanted to see if I liked the 6spd(which I don't). I prefer the 94-02 body style, plus the 03 was $35K. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif