Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advantages of hydralic clutch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Dec 3, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I will be swapping in a SM465 into my blazer, so i have never driven a 465 before, why is it that everyone wants the hydro clutch? what are the advantages?

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

hydro is easier on the leg and it doesnt tie to the frame, so if you get all twisted, it still works, mechanical can have issues
    mech transmits better "pedal feel" so you can feel when and how the clutch is engaging

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you've got a bad knee like me, but love standard, then hydro is the only way to go. Its way effort to push in than mechanical :)

First things first -- If you've never driven an SM465 before. Do NOT take it into the city right off the bat :haha:

They feel like you are trying to shift a school bus when you first start off. It takes a few days to get used to shifting them :)

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Advantages: Easier pedal effort, eliminate frame flex problems (these are mostly caused by 30 year old rubber body mounts, replacing them with poly mounts pretty much eliminated this problem)

Disadvantages: Cost of swapping (assuming you have to swap), more complex, slave/master cylinder has the potential of failing and leaving you stranded (this doesn't seem to be a huge deal with the Chevy stuff, but tons of J**p slaves/clutch master cylinders fail all the time). IMO, stick with the manual clutch if you are ok with working a real clutch ;)

5. srscout

srscout Registered Member

I went with the hydraulic clutch on my custom install for two reasons. First was as stated above, here in Utah we play in the rocks alot and I have seen to many mechanical clutches fail when the truck got all bound up. Second was the install. By the time I got everything tucked up as tight as I wanted, it would have been a real nightmare to get mechanical linkage working. I went with all factory GM stuff from a wrecked 85 3/4 ton with no problems at all. Just my 2 cents worth.

6. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Simple answer to this one. If you have Mechanical and off road this will happen When linkage comes apart.

[​IMG]

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well everyone has already said it....
    Ease of pedal, no mechanical to come apart.....

I swapped and love it.... easier pedal, no adjusting to be done...... :wink1: