Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

advantages of multiple shocks ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Apr 19, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok what are the advantage(s) of mounting multiple shocks ? is it same effect as one larger piston one would be ? shocks are meant to dampen rebound movements after going over bumps and dips, and to slow down the flex of the springs as far as i know.

good to have multiple if you have few or very flexy leaves ?

also while im here making a new post anyways: what is proper or reccommended way to measure for needed shock length ? try to find some shocks that are in about the center of piston travel when the eyes are as far apart as the brackets are on the truck when its at rest ?
    or get some that are a little more than halfway extended with truck at rest ? -daily driver mainly street used 4x4, no rocks ever cuz none exist
    or ?

or?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

in the old days shock tech was pretty sorry and it took lots of shocks per wheel to do the job... these days, thanks mainly to technology from monster trucks, unless you are a desert racer or something, one shock per wheel is plenty to do the job.

j

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Slapping on mulitiple shocks will ease the burden placed on the shocks if ya have problems with shock fade. Most aftermarket shocks such as Rancho, Pro-Crap (Except the MX-6) and others are twin tube design and this design quickens the rate that the shock will fade, which is cause by the piston moving up and down, and if ya are running at speed in the dirt, shock fade will come up fast.

The mono-tube shock (MX-6, Bilstein, Fox, King, Sway Away) design doesn't build up heat as fast. Depending on your truck's specs, and the type of wheeling you do, you may have to add another shock if you stay on the low end of the mono tube shock choice. Bilstein has just come out with the 5150 shock, which has an external resevoir. This adds more fluid, so the it doesn't heat up as fast and the shock is only $100. I'm gonna check these out when I can.

As for measuring for proper shock fitment, you need to cycle your suspension. The suspension will need to be compressed to the bumpstop, this will give you the short number. I've always read that one must remove all the leaves except for the main leaf (don't know if I got my info mixed up) and then extend it to full drop and get the long number and go from there.

It's always better to get a shock that is too short and add limiting straps than to have one that is too long at compression, bad goju here. Of course, your shock mounts should be designed and placed in such a way that will use every available inch of the shock's travel.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

great info, i appreciate, very cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

so technically running multiples is for the offroad racing truck guys then it sounds like /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif from the very little examples of such sport that i have managed to catch on Tv i think id be very interested in being involved in it in soem form or another, that just has to be fun to build, setup and race them things /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks

5. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

Alot of people say that multiple shocks are just for those into desert racing, however I have been able to induce fade just doing dirt road bashing with RS5000. If you like running a little faster and a little harder when you can I think dual shocks are a great investment for the added control. Just make sure you get shocks valved for a dual application.

as far as getting the right length shock, disconect your front sway bar and flex your truck on something. measure the compressed distance between shock mounts and the extended, and make sure to drive forward and backward up whatever your ramping on to get the most out of each end.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

RS5000s kinda suck though. Get a nice set of Bilsteins or something, and 1 per corner is all you'd need unless you are that desert racer guy.

j

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Alot of people say that multiple shocks are just for those into desert racing, however I have been able to induce fade just doing dirt road bashing with RS5000.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really invest in some time in reading my discertaintion concerning shock technology in this thread. The reason your shocks faded because they are twin tube and they build up heat faster. Just because a shock has Rancho on the side doesn't mean crap for some applications.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    great info, i appreciate, very cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

so technically running multiples is for the offroad racing truck guys then it sounds like /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif from the very little examples of such sport that i have managed to catch on Tv i think id be very interested in being involved in it in soem form or another, that just has to be fun to build, setup and race them things /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, it's all about picking the right shock for your application. One can't fully appreciate a shock built for off road racing until one sees one up close. The big ones are big enough to get a filly to fall in love with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Valving is very important also. This will control the truck correctly. A truck can't be fast through the dez if it's bucking like a championship rodeo horse.

Here's a couple of examples on suspension setup. A few years ago I rode in a Class 8 truck (fullsize) for a few miles and I couldn't really tell when we were in the air and when we landed. A couple of weeks ago, I took a ride in a Class 7 (Ranger). Funny thing is that the two teams don't know each other, but the Ranger looked like a twin of the larger truck. The only different was the big truck has 4-link quarter elliptic setup in the rear, the Ranger had a 4-link cantilever. In the Ranger, I could tell when we were in the air and when we landed. The Ranger's suspension was just a little harsher. The big truck has duals all of the way around, while the Ranger is running one shock per corner.

If you are interested in off road action, check out CORR, they are real big in your area. The trucks are setup and built a little different than the ones in the desert, but the basic idea is the same.

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

good post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    good post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to very much so agree, we got soem very knowledable ppl on this forum ! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you are interested in off road action, check out CORR, they are real big in your area. The trucks are setup and built a little different than the ones in the desert, but the basic idea is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bubba don't you meen CORRA?

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

Bubba don't you meen CORRA?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I mean Championship Off Road Racing.

Who/What's CORRA? Only thing close that I've ever heard of was that girl in 5th grade named Cara that had the hots for me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif