Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Adventures in the San Juan Mountains, Colorado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Metrodps, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Is any one done any of these trails or drove Black Bear Road?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am interested in this area when I go on my trip out west in May or June.
    Here is a link to the detailed map. http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/maps/bbrtopo.jpg

[​IMG]

And here is the road. My wife says I am crazy and she's not going down THAT!
    [​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've been on most of the trails in that area. Black Bear is fun, but it isn't difficult. Just pay attention to the trail because if you venture off the side your rig will continue to roll down the mountain long after you're dead. :shocked: The San Juans have some of the best scenery in Colorado. Try to make it to the end of the trail on Hurricane Peak. It's one of the most memorable places I've ever been. :cool1:

3. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have done blackbear in my k5 a few years ago....once was enough for me. Like harry says...its not very hard....but the end is an azz kicker due to the sudden drop in elevation that takes place on the switch backs that descend into telluride....they are narrow...require a spotter, and can become a 5 to 7 point turn.....definately a jeep or quad trail. If your wife thinks your nuts now...wait till somehow you manage to get her to ride along and you make that first left turn at the old stamp mill and she figures out what the way down looks like....

DW

4. Metrodps

So explain to me about the "steps" are they worse than the switch backs? Oh yea and how many are there I can only see about 6..

On the western side of the pass the trail is located on a narrow shelf road that is not much wider then a Jeep. Notice the brace up of the trail just below the jeep!
    [​IMG]
    And yes I am getting nervous...

What about Cinnamon Pass?
    It is a few miles south of Engineer Pass and connects Lake City and the ghost town of Animas Forks. This road allong with Engineer Pass make up the Alpine Loop scenic byway linking Silveton, Lake City and Ouray. Know anything about this?

Thinking I just might wanna rent me one of them there U-Driv'em army jeep cars to do this.....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

We stayed in Ouray a couple of years ago. It was mid summer and was beautiful time. We travelled on some of the high elevation roads, visited abandoned mining areas, swam in the hot pools, and took the narrow guage railroad from Durango to Silverton. We (wife and 4 kids) had a wonderful time. If you avoid the tourist trap places and get up in the mountains, its a cheap vacation too. We didn't try Black Bear road.

6. Metrodps

We started out going to the area for the Durango Silverton rail excursion and then I got to looking things up on the area. Old ghost towns and found out we were so close to the famous Black Bear road and Wolf Creek Pass! Well; what can I say but "four wheel cowboy" and "this heres the duck"!

Yeap, must do Ouray to see CW's stomping grounds get a little mud on the tires. We can't forget about Mavis :D

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

"Dogonnit RJ, How many times do I have to explain it to you? when I tell you to put a rock under the tire, I mean a Rock.":D:D

8. Metrodps

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Ouray is an awesome little place. Definetly spend a day or so there.

Also There's 2 or 3 ck5er's in the area. 70jimmy and Fred2mihi are a little ways north, we have another in Gunnison to the east and I think we even have a member in Ouray or Ridgeway or something.

10. Metrodps

Any one know what the story is on Thoreau's Cabin near Engineer Pass?

[​IMG]

11. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have done Imogene, cinnamon, and Engineer. Lots of very cool trails in the area. Ouray is a blast, lots to see.

I did Imogene in a ford expedition and Cinnamon and Engineer in a rental jeep. Nothing very difficult about these trails, some ledges and switchbacks but incredible scenery. Hope to do more soon.

The alpine loop is doing both cinnamon and engineer. We left Silverton about 9 and had lunch in Lake City and got back to Silverton about 4. If I remember correctly if you Cinnamon on the way up and Engineer on the way back it keeps the passenger on the uphill side most of the way. some cool mining stuff and old town sites to check out and a cool waterfall.

Imogene has a nice waterfall also. I will see if I can find some pics I took.

12. Metrodps

Your thoughts Please!

I was wondering what you all thought about something like this for camping in out there.

SUV Tent / Mini-Van Tent features two large entrance doors & windows, full-size 6' x 6' canopy, gear loft and mesh pockets for additional storage.

The Sportz SUV tent sets up in minutes and the wrap-around sleeve allows you to drive away while your tent remains standing.

This 10' x 10' x 7' high tent provides sleeping space for six along with the additional space provided by your SUV or minivan.
    [​IMG]

13. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

nifty, but hideous looking.

14. Metrodps

I was thinking take the stuff out of truck rear and put in tent then sleep in the back of the Blazer. Wife is scared crap less of snakes. We plan on rotating between motel and camping to cut cost.