Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice -First Time Blazer Buyer!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kristine, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Kristine

Kristine Newbie

I've wanted a Blazer since my early teens, so I sold my motorbike due to the bad weather in England, and I am going to purchase a Blazer. But I need advice, what should I go for? I want a very clean '80s V8 Petrol Blazer, but thats all I know, should I go for manual/auto, standard/lifted etc. Any help would be appriecated, what should I look out for?

2. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

Go for an unmodified blazer. Make sure it has a 350 v8 in it and an auto trans would be better. Try to get one that has original factory paint on it that way knowone is hiding any rust. Make sure to look under the truck too, because thats another place for rust. Try to look for the most original truck because if its modified you don't know what your getting. IF you want to modify it thats a different story but then again its harder to sell.

JD

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Try to find a clean late model 88-90 Blazer. They got most of the bugs out of the TBI and the auto trans by then. The fuel Injected models with overdrive get better gas milage. An Auto trans model will be the easist to find. Look for a Blazer that is as close to stock as you can find. Check the For Sale section of this site There is a nice 1990 K5 for sale there by a guy named fr8train. Good luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Thunder on 03/09/01 12:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

That would be 88-91. The only real thing to watch out for there is the faulty, factory paint job GM put on those years. The paint comes right off. It will have to be repainted, if it hasn't been already.

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The number one thing is body rust. Make sure to look inside the tailgate and up underneath at the rockers and floor and anything towards the back.

Second is the drivetrain, especially the transmission.

<font color=blue>"Guys aren't able to get $15-20million a year anymore, so you have to play for the love of the game." --Penny Hardaway (Orlando Magic)</font color=blue>

6. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

well also check out the 4wd, check for leaks. test drive it. etc
    how many miles it has on it might be a concern, but it depends.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

7. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Hi Kristine:
    Bought my 87 Blazer last summer. Love it! Don't understand why more females not driving these trucks. Perfect combination vehicle. Did find a few problems, but hey, the truck is 14 years old, gotta expect it. Look very carefully under bed carpeting. Found a swamp under there on mine. Pulled out carpeting and padding. Got lucky, no rust. Have replaced shocks, plug wires (source of misfiring problem), alternator, battery, some other electrical small stuff, but all worth it. Enjoy!