Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice for buying a used 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Aug 30, 2001.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    A friend of a friend is getting rid of a truck and I'm thinking of buying it for the engine. All I know is that it's a '69 Chevy (obviously) pickup (2wd), but from what I've been told it has a fresh 350 in it. It's a project truck that the guy just never got around to finishing and wants to sell it for something like $300. I've seen the engine (looks good), but never when its running (I'm not sure if it even runs). Whenever I go to check it out, what specific things should I be looking for and asking about? For that price, I'm sure I'll need to sink some more money into it - I just want to make sure I'm not buying a piece of junk.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?
  2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

just do the basics with it, listen to it run. get there before he warms it up so you can here it start cold. thats when you can hear any lifters that might be bad or going bad. take a compression check this will tell you if its worth buying or it has major problems. check the fluid levels on the oil and coolant and the color of these. just get back to engine basics really when checking it over...

"MORE POWER"!!
  3. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

May 31, 2001
    Dorian Yeager (a CK5'er) has a site that links to engine production codes - print that out, take it with you, it can give you an idea of the true age of the engine. check the oil for contaminants, look for oil leaks, but most of all start it up. The best testing you can do has to be done running, you can see if it smokes, do a compression test, listen for rapping bearings, etc... Start that bad boy up!

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    that would be the engine decoding links on www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html[ur...asures on your truck? No pity when its stolen