Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice needed for audio in my '72 K5

Discussion in 'Audio' started by gjk5, Sep 14, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Mar 17, 2004
    I am planning on getting rid of my ghetto stereo (bookshelf speakers rolling around in the back) as I cannot hear crap while driving.

It is a '72 K5 that is rhinolined throughout the tub and has a soft top. I know I'm not going to get a great sound period with this set-up, just want to be able to hear it and have something a little less hillbilly. And I'm sick of having to remove CD's with a needle nose every once and a while.

I am looking at some Sony speakers on e-bay and maybe a Sony CD player, planning on some 300+/- watts 6x9 speakers and some little boxes mounted on my rear wheel wells and maybe a couple 5.25" in the doors. Price is more a factor than anything else.

Does anyone have any input on Sony, specifically if they will hold up to being bounced around and if the CD players are decent as far as anti-skip(Rough Country springs are indeed rough). Also, do I even need an amp? (I know nothing about car stereos)

Anyhow, any help is appreciated.
  2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Feb 18, 2005
    I do alot of stereo work on the side, but for my Blazer I wanted a stereo on the cheap and easy side. For the money go to Pep Boys or parts direct or whatever the store is in your area and look in their audio dept. Before I went wheeling in Gilmer I bought a "300 watt handling" speaker box with a couple of 6" and tweeters for $15.00 ( and it had a 5.00 mail in rebate) I had an Eclipse head unit collecting dust in the garage. No amp needed. Factory 1.5" fronts, or whatever the little poss are. Sounds good enough for most of the time I'm in the truck. I dont have the cd player on when on the trails, but it works fine when it is on.
    If you are spinning a cd while going over #3 trails, expect it to skip, if not lodge itself permanently inside the player.
    Btw I run with the top off all summer long. I just set the speaker box a little behind the front seats in the middle.