Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice Needed.......HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Feb 25, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right so going to pull the motor and freshen it up and do some modifications and replace the crossmember. Well All is going good until now. I have removed all the bell housing bolts except for one. Well the one I can't get the head of a wrench or socket onto, not enough to grab. I pulled out my mirror and light and took a look at it and it seems that the bolt head has sunken into the bell housing flange. How do I get this bolt out?

I was contemplating just pulling it out and hoping that the bolt hole will widen for the rest of the head bolt to go through and just throw a washer on there when I throw the motor back in next week.

TIA
    James

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Which bolt is it? If it's one of the 2 lower bolts (per side) maybe you could very carefully weld another bolt to it allowing you to wrench it out.

I don't think the bolt would pull the rest of the way thru the hole, I'd bet the aluminum would break. :yikes:

Worst case I would support the t-case and pull the motor and tranny together (put some bolts back in!) and deal with it out of the truck. No sense in damaging good stuff.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Put the bolts back in. Drop the t-case and pull the motor/trans together or take the front clip off and pull em all out!

4. 79Stomper

Front clip is all ready off. Even if I do extract the transmission with it there isn't going to be a way to get the bolt out. I really don't wasnt to pull the tranny out.

It is the bolt on the left side top.

I really don't want to pull the tranny out...........

5. 79Stomper

I got it and I didn't hae to pull the tranny.

After knocking my head around and trying a way that didn't work I remembered the tranny tunnel cover. So I unbolted it, and pryed it off. Once I had that off, I got the drill out and drilled the head of the bolt off. Only added like an extra hour or so but the motor is out and broken down now. Get this, after I drilled the head off I could spin the bolt with my fingers. Usually I have seen them they are a real PITA to get off but not these. I went and picked up some grade 8 bolts and washers to take their place and a tube of loctite when I put the mtor back in.

James