Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice needed on removing body parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Aug 19, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Currently my truck is not running (probably not until 1st of the year) and I am thinking of renting an RV bay at a mini storage lot to put it in, and have a place to work on it with less restrictions than I have with the truck sitting in the parking lot of my apartment complex. The bay size is 12X36 and is basically a carport with roof and three walls with a chain link gate across the front to lock things up. I am thinking with the extra space it would be nice to remove the bed, hood and front clip to allow better access to everything. I am thinking take the bed off first set it behind the truck and then put the hood and clip in the bed. I think I have a pretty good idea of how to remove all the listed items, just wondering how much help I need to remove them. As in how many people required for each. I think it would be as follows bed-4, hood-2, front clip-3 or 4. I have never removed any of these and really have no idea as to the weight, are the estimates of manpower needed accurate or am I totally wrong? Any tips to removing these or is it just unbolt and use brute strength to move?

2. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

your pretty close. I've done mine myself. but it aint no fun....The bed I used a cherry picker though...Have had my truck apart several times...I would say bed 4, hood 2, front clip..1-2...Is it a 1 piece front clip ? If not it aint no thing. I just took mine off last week. Im removing the inner fender wells and doing some trimming....If I was you I would leave the front radiator core support bolted to the frame. Otherwise your talking about draining the radiator and removing the battery...It all depends on what your doing..

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I am looking at removing the front clip as 1 peice if I can just to make it easier. The radiator is already drained so no problem there. I was thinking for the clip 1 person on each fender and maybe one for the grill area. The hood is easy enough just heavy I imagine. For the bed I was thinking it might be done by two people by grabbing it towards the rear end and dragging across the top of the frame and basically slide it off. But I'm not reall sure if that would work It probably would take 4 people just to make it easy.

BTW doing head work, engine cleanup, and wire repair--lots of wire repair, new fuel sender, exhaust, shocks, basically everything

4. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a fun project. I am in the middle of converting my k15 to a truggy. Going to make the rearend nice and tight hugging the frame towards the end of the bed...hacking out all fenderwells..Putting in cage from front to back..And 4 linking the rear using tj coils and putting my rear springs on the front..

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/7209/sort/1/cat/626/page/1