Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice needed

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by larryboz, May 17, 2006.

1. larryboz

larryboz Registered Member

I looked at a 1995 Chevy 2500 4x4 today 6.5TD auto with 175K on it. It had new heads put on in March of 2005 about 20K miles ago, new starter, flywheel, alternator, rebuilt turbo. Has all the receipts with most work done a Chevy dealer. Now this is not a real clean truck lives on Gravel road so dust is everywhere. 4wheel drive worked needs tires. I did not have a chance to start it cold because he just got home from work but he started it and no smoke and started right up. I popped the hood and took a look at the motor and it wasn't shaking at all just smooth. Listened to the normal diesel sound but noticed the sound of the diesel was louder on passenger side of motor than drivers side not sure, not real loud but noticeable on that side versus the drivers. There is some seepage around oil Pan gasket in front but nothing out of the ordinary. Then pulled dipstick tube and some vapor or smoke, something was coming out of it, He said it always does that. Shut hood took it for a drive and it ran good seemed to have enough power didn't smoke at all until I really got on it and it threw a puff of black smoke out seemed normal for a diesel. He seemed like an honest guy and told me and showed me things that were wrong with the truck. NO rust at all a few dings here and there but it is going to be a work truck carrying lumber gravel whatever that needs to be hauled. Think I can get it for about $4800.00. What do you guys think? I am pretty good with a wrench on a gasser but never worked on a diesel but had a cummins once but nothing ever went wrong with that should of probably never sold that. Now that I think about it I am not sure if he changed the injectors or not. Also the water temp gauge never dropped below 200 - 210. Is that normal?

Larry

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

All the stuff you noted (vapor from dipstick, black smoke when punching it, etc.) is normal for a 6.2/6.5. I have no input about the price; don't know enough about those years to say.