Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice on a 84' K5 I might buy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattcorleone, Jul 6, 2004.

1. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

Advice on a 84\' K5 I might buy

Hi guys, new to the K5 world... I have a 97' Z71 Ext Cab Pickup with high miles... beautiful truck... perfect paint and interior, rebuilt tranny and a bunch of new parts (tires, fuel injection, fuel pump, etc.) that I'm trying to sell:www.hillsandtrees.com/k1500.htm
    just because I can't do the double payment thing anymore (bought a saturn to commmute in) and the truck is just too nice to leave sitting everyday and too nice to mess up on the trail. I have an interested party who has a 84' K5 for trade plus $2500 cash... I was asking $8500 for the truck (173k), but came down to $7500 trying to get him to buy it with cash before he offered the truck. I'd like to have a truck, and it is very nice, I'm just not sure it is worth $5000 or not (Since I want $7500 for my truck... less $2500 cash - $5k is what I'd be paying for the blazer... here's the details (sorry I don't have any pics):

84' K5 Blazer 1/2 ton 4x4
    133k on body

Engine:
    Early 80's 350 - Dart 2 Iron Heads, Quadrajet Carb, Alum Manifold, Mild Street Cam, A/C complete in a box (not on truck), Headers, True Duals, Aux Oil Cooler, Aux Tranny Cooler, Cools very well, Radiator looks good, guesstimate 20-30k on the engine rebuild.

Tranny:
    700R4 rebuilt with RV shift kit, new TC - 800 stall above stock, no more than 10k on rebuild.

TC and Rears:
    Stock Rears: GM Corporate 10 bolts w/ 28 spline axles - semi floating open rears
    3.73 gears
    Stock Transfer Case: NP208
    Fluid changed in all, but all original (not rebuilt)

6" Rough Country Lift Kit:
    All new leaf springs, shocks, brake line extensions, pitman arm extension, stearing arm and spacers for transfer case.
    35x12.50x15 TrXus Mud Terrain Tires, less than 3k on them on 15x10 Alum Rims (just a normal 8 or 10 hole design).

Body:
    Truck is from Georgia, only one Maine winter where is wasn't on road much at all... no rust except where rear fender was replaced from minor accident... rust has started forming on weld on inside of fender. Very solid truck.
    Steel Cowl Hood
    New paint last year (some trail scratches... not down to metal)
    Roof Visor w/ lights
    Entire cap is Black Rhino Lined on outside as is panel under tailgate
    New window motors on both doors and rear window
    Interior is worn... not falling apart horribly, but all original (dash cracked as always)
    Pioneer CD w/ Amp and 3 10" Subs in a Rockford Box
    Trailer Hitch

I guess my dilemma is that I don't have a garage to work on it and I just don't want to buy something that is going to break down every week and I have to constantly fix it. It has been mostly gone through by the previous owner... but a 20 year old truck is still going to have issues now and then. Hmmm.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Any advice, inspiration, horror stories, you care to share!?!!?!

Thanks!
    Matt from the wiles of ME

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: Advice on a 84\' K5 I might buy

i think 5k is too much, also it depends what you want it for, if strictly for street, you might be happier with another vehicle for 5 grand or so, the k5 is awesome for offroading, and it really grows on you once you get one, but it sounds like you dont want a truck to work on and the k5 might become that. anyway good luck, and if you did want a k5, sell the truck for asking price, buy one and with the extra money drop a crate motor in there for a reliable truck /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I agree with brandon, hold out and sell your truck for what you want for it.

Then get a k5 and drop a crate motor, have the t-case and tranny redone, add a new water pump, fuel pump, starter and alternator and a 1000.00 earl shib paint job, then toss some more money and get new carpet and the seats recovered..all for less then 5-6 grand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yeah what sean said

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

PASS. To warrant a $5000 price tag that thing had better be in great shape and FUEL INJECTED. You can build the K5 you think you want for that kind of money. Oh, and keep in mind alot of people have overpaid for something they really wanted, so dont feel too bad if you jump on it.

6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    alot of people have overpaid for something they really wanted,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is great advice as well, the way I see it if I bought something I truly wanted and paid too much, I would be ok with it because I am happy with what I bought /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

how-ever if he buys somthing and he was ify on how good of a deal he got and feels o the short side of the stick, it will only make him angy every time the rolling piggy bank needs a deposit /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would say the best variable here is time, use that to make your decisions and you cant go too wrong /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mattcorleone

mattcorleone Registered Member

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm still up in the air about this. It's true in a way I would rather just sell my truck and not do a trade... but I am having a heck of a time selling it. Everyone is petrified of the high miles. It is a beautiful truck... especially for Maine... it has seen no winters except a mild one last year up here. My other dilemma is I know after being truckless for about 6 months I will want another one... and this one I know the owner and know there aren't any hidden things with it. I won't have the money for a new one next year... and I know I'll be tempted to trade the car in on one... which I shouldn't since I just bought the darn thing! I'm thinking the Blazer may be a way to satisfy my need/desire for a truck economically instead of paying $450/mo for a new one and not have a vehicle that gets good gas mileage (since I couldn't keep the car if I got a new truck). The Blazer is in very nice shape... NO rust... which for up here in North-Central Maine is saying quite a lot. A nice older truck is RARE up here... in fact I haven't seen a K5 on the road that was decent since I moved up here 8 months ago... so it is kind of a cool piece to have... that is part of the reason the guy is set on $5k for it.
    My new question is... How much of a tow vehicle can this thing be? 18' Bass boat maybe 2 or 3 times a year no more than an hour or two from home... and maybe a four wheeler or snowmobile on a small trailer? With 6" lift (all spring lift keep in mind) 35's and 3.73's am I asking for trouble? I am very aware it is not ideal, but is it at least reasonable to say I would not be risking lives doing something like that? Thanks guys, you are great!