Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

advice on a truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Oct 14, 2002.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of selling my 93 chevy, after it is sold i want to get a 80s style chevy truck 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, i would like a 3/4 or 1 ton but most of the trucks i find around here (ohio) seem to be 1/2 tons, i have found a couple 3/4 and 1 tons but they have alot of lift or have fancy paint jobs, i wanting something i can play with in the woods/fields and be able to hold up. how durable is the full floater kits for the 1/2 tons or would i be better off to just find a k20 or k30. thanks chris

2. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I'd start out with at least a k20. You should be able to find one as cheap as a 1/2 ton.Preferable an older one with D44/14ff. If you get a 1/2 ton you'll end up replacing the entire drivetrain in a couple of years if your doind any off roading

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Drive down south. They are everywhere and not rusted out.

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

is there a diff, in frame on the k20 and k30 models? i figure the lowest i will settle for is a k20.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think there is a difference i could very well be wrong, but ive heard people make a big deal out of having a 1 ton frame so my guess is that maybe they are diffeerent? a k20 is still pretty good all ya gatta do is find a dana 60 or 70 to throw under the front. If you do get one, just wheel it untill something happens to the 10 bolt then replace it..the 14 bolt should hold out fine.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> the K30 frame uses thicker steel and I beleive is a bit taller. There is definately a difference. </font color>