Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice On Axle Spools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Apr 29, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

My buddy is telling me that i should use an axle spool. He said that they are strong, and i will not see much problems with steering, and handling on the road. Has anyone had any experience with them, good or bad?

2. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I personally do not recommend spools in the rear axle if you plan on driving on the street. You will bark your tires on every turn and get really poor tire wear. I have a detroit in the rear and it will perform as well off road and will unlock around turns (just so long as you are not on the gas or brake). If you are installing on the front then it won't matter on the street with the hubs unlocked. Plan on having some turning upgrades to get it to work on tight trails. Unless you like getting out and unlocking one hub to make a tight turn.
    I think the best offroad setup is locker rear/ selectible locker front.

3. 4wheelin4Jesus

thanks, you make a lot of sense. i appreciate it.
    God bless!

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I run spools front and rear. and yes it has it's little quirks but nothing that minding your driving manners won't fix. :D

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran a spooled rearend on the street for 3 years. It is doable but the tire wear is insane. I recently switched to a Detroit locker in the rear axle and I was shocked at how much better it acts on the street then the spool did.

If you are building an offroad truck that sees more dirt then street then a spool is fine. But if you run the street alot you will get tired of the chirping around corners and the rapid tire wear issue.

Offroad you will not really notice a difference. A locker and a spool are going to provide the same amount of traction. A spooled front axle can be a PITA offroad as it will make it harder to steer the truck.

As far as steering with a spooled rear on the street your turning radius will increase a fair amount. A spool is not real user friendly on the street if you DD the truck. It can definitly be done though. Like I mentioned I did it for 3 years on the street.

The only bonus the the spool is that they are cheap, strong, and they have a very predictable road manner. The locker can be a little quirkie with the locking and unlocking especially in the ice, snow, and rain.

Harley

6. 4wheelin4Jesus

Is your rear end 1/2 ton 3/4 ton or 1 ton?
    what size gears do you have?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

my rear axle is a 14bff. It is the 10.5" ring gear with 4.56 gears. It is technically a 3/4 ton rear axle but is the same strength as a 1 ton rear axle.

Harley