Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice on Buying a '69-'72 Blazer/Jimmy

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmk2z, Mar 8, 2002.

1. jmk2z

jmk2z Newbie

Advice on Buying a \'69-\'72 Blazer/Jimmy

I would like to buy a '69-'72 Blazer/Jimmy, but do not know a whole lot about them. How much should I expect to spend? Is there anything I should look out for? Where aer good places to find them for sale? I live in MD, outside of Washington D.C. -- will these cars pass the emissions tests here? Also, I want one with a lift/roll bars, etc. -- should I buy one with all that installed or buy one stock and then install that stuff myself. I appreciate any helpful advice on this topic. Thanks in advance!

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Re: Advice on Buying a \'69-\'72 Blazer/Jimmy

Well, don't know much about the area your in but a good place to start searching is <a target="_blank" href=http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearchprocess.html>http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearchprocess.html</a>.

Watch out for Rust, especially in the rocker boxes and the windshield frame. The rocker boxes are the structural support for the truck when the top is off. You can see them if you look under the truck below the doors. They are between the rocker panels (sheet metal below the doors) and the frame.

Good luck!

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with bouncytruck. Watch the rust on the window frames and under the doors. It can all be fixed, but if you dont have the time, patience, money ect. you might want to wait and spend a little more for one that is more solid. If you are handy you can install the lift and such yourself. If you not so handy buy it already done. If you do this you are trustin other peoples work. The roof seals are gonna leak and are VERY expensive to replace. I say all this but I love mine, and its a rusty old 69. The price is gonne be what ever you think its worth. You might find one dirt cheap or one really pricy. I payed 1500 for mine completely original and stock. Look on the for sale board here. theres one for complete blazers. There are good peep's here. Dont get to pricy. I definatley wouldnt cross 4,000 even for perfect condition. At the least this thing is 30 years old. Stuff wears out. And if you have any knid of emissions on antique vehicles it will definatley fail. here in louisiana if its before a 1980 it doesnt have to have anything except pipes. call your state troopers and ask them. hope this helps

nathan

4. cleszkie

cleszkie 1/2 ton status

I picked my 72 K5 up when I lived in Virginia a while back. I ended up completely rebuilding the thing. All I can say is good luck in your search. they are few and far between. Most of the first gen Blazers I saw out there were pretty rough (in the MD/VA area). If you find a good solid one, don't be too concerned if it does not have the lift / accessories that you want. these things can be gotten latter. A bone stock solid truck is worth more in my opinion than a tattered, rusted one with a big lift and big tires.

Now that I live in southern California, I see more first gen K5s rolling around. Hell, there are three (including mine) belonging to three different people within blocks of my house!

One other thing to look out for -- rotted rubber body mounts.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Out here the biggest problem I has was finding one that was not restored! There were a bunch going for $12,000-$20,000 when I bought mine!

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I had trouble just finding mine in Northern CA. I saw a few automatic trucks, but very few 4-speed Blazers, and only a couple that were not rusty heaps. Then again, I bought mine for not so cheap a price (not too bad either) and it promptly puked its engine on me.

7. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I live in howard county, MD. I got mine in williamsport, PA(8-9 hour drive) for 3500 in the condition you see in my pictures. Not too long ago, there was a green 72 for sale for 3000 in southern Maryland that looked in pretty good shape for this area. It was on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.traderonline.com>www.traderonline.com</a>

I hope you find one. There is no one around here with first gen Blazers. Good luck

Evan

8. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Oh yea. About the emissions. Dont worry about it. In Maryland...any car older then 1975-76? does not have to pass emissions.