Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

advice on new brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BSav, Jul 1, 2005.

1. BSav

BSav Registered Member

Hello to everyone I am in need of some advice. I've got an 88 full-size Jimmy. I just graduated college about a month ago, Which forced me to move back home (wonderful). So I move all my stuff home and about a week after I move back I notice that the truck is pulling hard to the right when I put the brakes on. I send it to the mechanic down the street. He tells me that it is unsafe to drive. The rear brakes are gone the rivets in the shoes have ground themselves a nice valley in the drum. This calls for new rear brakes. The front left brake line has something wrong with it, which causes it to keep constant pressure on the caliper so it eventually heats u and stops working. So new front rotors and pads and maybe new calipers, with all new brake lines.

So do I replace the parts with new parts from the local auto parts store and be happy with stock or do i replace the rear with stock because it is only a 10 bolt and replace the front with the ssbrakes.com front vented disk and larger caliper piton for almost double the money. I would do this right off the bat if I knew the stock calipers were junk but they may be ok. I don't want to find out they are junk and already have stock parts and replace the with stock. Are the stock brakes strong enough to stop the truck I've got new 33x12.50 tires with steel rims, a 2in lift and the truck is heavy to begin with. It sees alot of street use and some off road, it is my daily driver.

I just need some advice because my parents say get rid of it or fix it and put in the cheapest stuff for brakes.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length
    Brian Sav

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't use the "cheapest" stuff for brakes, especially with the larger tires. Most auto parts stores have different levels of quality to choose from. Ask to see the parts and compare the quality from cheap to more expensive. I don't think there is a need for special brake parts, quality stock replacement parts will do fine.

3. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

I put on cross-drilled and slotted rotors on the front on my k-5, they were a bit moore expensive and were still cheaper than the SS system. Raybestos makes them, and when you lay in the brakes, it stops on a dime and has 9 cents change :D

4. BSav

BSav Registered Member

re: Brakes

thanks I think I am going to go with some good parts ans not go aftermarket wild untill I can get what I and do the job right. For the time being the stock set up and some quality shoes pads and maybe cross drilled rotors will do the trick.

Thank You
    Brian Sav

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

2 things- 1st stock brakes can stop your truck. I have 7" lift on mine and 33's (yeah it looks silly) stops it fine.

I'd put on SS extended lines on the front if your messing with the brakes anyway. When I did my brakes, I did the complete line replacement from the master to all 4 wheels. (blood, blood blood all over my frame from my knuckles).... Was a PIA but my rear line had blown a hole, and well, made more sense to replace them all, knowing that the VT salt had done its damage to the lines.

2nd- I hope your parents really didnt say "put the cheapest stuff in there"... being a mom, I cant imagine telling my girls to "go cheap on the brakes".... Dont go cheap- go correct. Brakes are sorta important ya know?

Good luck to ya

Brandy

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

DON'T USE WAGNER THERMO-QUIET PADS - they're not the cheapies, but they still suck! I've had a set on the front of my Eclipse for over a month now - I just hit a curb pulling into a parking spot at work today because they just don't sem to want to grab the rotor.