Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

advice on steering column problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Feb 24, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

my 90 burb i picked up cheep was a repo and the P.O. took the original steering column and wheel out and replaced it with one from a mid 80s truck. it works fine but it doesn't have the provision for high beems or wipers and washeres. it does have the cruise control and it works.

soooo, should i look for the correct column or should i make up some toggles for the missing controls? Painess sells a basic wiper switch- the ol' knob style. newer columns are hard to find and the junk yards around here want an arm and a leg for one.

what do you guys think?

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'd just get the right column It sure would be alot less hassle and would look a lot better you should be able to use any column from that year camaro, caprice, pickup, van the only differance should be the lower portion of the column that bolt's to the steering box which could be swapped from your exsisting column /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

so all those vehicles in that year range will work for a steering column??? they are all the same length from the fire wall on the inside and the wiring is the same?

thanks,

jason

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure there the same the column in my 79 k-20 came from a 80 firebird try to find some one with a hollander interchange manual that would tell you for sure /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif