Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice on Tritium sights

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Jan 27, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have found what I think is a good deal on tritium sights for my gun (Taurus PT92) @ under $40. I have also heard that tritium is bad in daylight and fades after 4-6 years so the nighttime use has a limited lifetime. I have a surefire that I keep in the mag pouch of my holster, but it does not attach directly to the gun and is kind of clumsy to shoot with.

Does anyone have experience with these and what are your opinions?
    Or any other affordable suggestions for night shooting.

Oh, don't know if it matters but they are IMX brand sights.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Me personally, being a creature of the dark, I would love to have Tritium sights on my gun; I'm just too much of a cheap skate. I have shot with them and they are what I think should be mandatory equipment for bringing down the wrath during hours of darkness. I don't know about the time frame you mentioned, but they are not that expensive in the first place so it shouldn't be a big deal. Tactically shooting with a flashlight, especially one that is small and bright is a good skill to have, but there's always the possibility of losing/malfunction/time frame when involved in a low light condition that every avenue should be taken when it comes to preparation in the possibility of providing some less than sociable scrot some hate and discontent through the use of high speed lead projectiles........................

3. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

The Tritium sights work because they're radioactive. Therefore they DO have a half-life and WILL eventually become dim. But it does take a pretty long time.

Personally, I'd love to have some tritium sights on my Sig P220.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I would love it if I had a light that would attach to my gun, it's pretty much impossible to hit anything holding that surefire in my left and still trying to maintain a good grip and stance. So Bubba, do you think that $40 is pretty good for tritiums? By the way, they did have them for numerous makes of gun. It was at Sportsmans Guide.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

$40 is pretty cheap. I have had them on my Glock .40 for about 6-7 years now, maybe more, and they are going strong.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes, $40 is a darn good price. If you suck shooting with a flashlight in your hand, then you need more work on your technique. It's not hard. Maybe a little awkward.

Just remember though, once you hit that switch and the light comes on, you've given away your position.......................

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have had them for about six years. Still very bright and I love them. Seems like I paid about $200 for them and the tac light. Its also great at night. THe sights give you the option to light it up or not. Either way they make shooting at night much, much more easy.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

www.gunblast.com just did an article on night sights

If I get another automatic, it's going to have an accesory rail and a light. Taurus's new 24/7 has a rail and you can get a springfield 1911 rail molded into the frame

I need to get a light for my 870

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    40 Bucks is great. I have seen them from 1 to 2 hundred. I have had them on a 9mm and a 40 cal. They do dim a little. I didn't really notice until I replaced mine. I definately like them at night. Day time the glow is useless but mine are white during the day around the radioactive part so that works. I don't really use the color during the day. when I replaced mine they were about 8 years old. The old ones still worked just not as bright anymore.

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine are white during the day also. I may go check them against a new set just to see how bright they have stayed.

11. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the info guys, ordered one before I left the office. If anyone else is interested they had them for several other guns as well at the same price:
    www.sportsmansguide.com

Thanks again.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

I have these on my HK, been on there since 99 and they are so so these days. Still white during the day time and dimmly lit at night but its better than factory white dots. I need a set thats as bright as the ones in the pic!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148205
    list HK and benelli as manufacturers that use these then they dont have them for either :frown1:

13. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Precisely. Tritium is a radioactive material; I don't know the half-life off the top of my head, but I do recall it being many years.