Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice on Van Axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Aug 14, 2002.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I got thinking yesterday (that's dangerous for me:) ) - my uncle had an electrical business for 20+ years, and has every work van they ever used out on his place....well, several years ago, he gave me a Ford Econoline for free (with the stipilation that I give it back if I wasn't going to use it - which I ended up doing a year later) - I'm 99% sure he's got at LEAST 2 Chevy vans out there...My question is what do I need to look for as far as axles go? I'm driving a stock 87 K5 now...don't know if I will ever lift it since it's my daily driver, but I would like to get a first generation K5 here in the next year or two (which I would like to lift) - I thought I'd go ahead and hit my uncle up for the axles while I still can. I figure if he will get rid of them, he will probaly just let me have them for free. Do I need to stick strictly to the Chevy axles, or are any of the Ford axles worth having? (keep in mind I'm new to all of this)

2. BrianDamage

also another thought....if these vans are 3/4 or 1 ton rated, would it be to my advantage to try and get the disc brake setup off of them? would they be usuable? better than the 1/2 ton K5 disc? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

stay with the chevy 14ff /forums/images/icons/smile.gif the van axles are wider and the spring pearches need to be taken off and moved and re welded but for free /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. BrianDamage

yeah, I was searching throught the board, and came across something that said they were wider...would you need to get them cut down (possible?) or is the extra width desirable?

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it would just be your preferance if you look at your blazer now the back tires are in and the front tires are out some people use wheel spacers to even them out but with a van axle you wouldnt need to /forums/images/icons/smile.gif they would then be the same as the front

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

FYI - Be careful with the Ford axles. A lot of Ford vans came with Dana 61's, they look like a Dana 60 but the housing requires a different ring & pinion and it will not accept a ratio bigger than 4.10.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I have a van 14b. As mentioned, had to move the spring perches inward, and will have to relocate the shock mounts as well, but I like it for the width, making the rear track match the front. Plus it was cheap and had 4.56's and a Detroit. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif