Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice on wheels needed??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Nov 9, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have a set of 33's I'm putting on my 72 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif but will eventually go to at least 35's, the rims on it are weak, old steel rallys with no paint just rust. I am going to rhino line the bottom 10" or so black and I want some black wheels so I have a couple of questions:

Steel or Alum?
    What width? (they're 15's)
    Any particular style/brand?
    Can I rhino the wheels?

I just looked on e-bay and there are like 10,000 15" wheels so I'm a little overwhelmed. Not looking for anything fancy, just decent. The /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif is primarily a hunt/fish/moderate wheeler, I've got another one I'm gonna truggyize eventually. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Steel, 15x8, 4.25" backspacing

Oh and from Tim's Offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

PM me some info man, always glad to help a CK5 businessman if it makes sense. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm looking at used ones I'll have to clean up and paint, it may be worth it just to go new. All the places around here gave the sad old steel shortage song and a high quote.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I say steel.

I was debating aluminum and steel, too. I decided to clean-up and repaint some steel wheels that I had. While painting, one of them fell from 3ft onto concrete, and bounced 3 times on the lip. I could see one slight flat spot. After that I decided steel is the way to go. No way an aluminum rim would have stood for that.

5. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

i wouldn't say that...they're not glass...my ex-wife had the car valet parked (had aluminum rims) and the jacka$$ parking the car plowed into a curb at 20 MPH, ruined the tire...rim had a nice gouge in it, but it was still servicable....i believe that beats your 3 ft drop test. (and the valet company wouldn't pay for the loss...the 'reciept' says they're not liable) I didn't have the time to fight em in court for a $130 tire.....

6. mrk5

Okay, to further my story.

I had aluminum wheels on the truck. Nice $400 billet aluminum wheels. Went on one wheeling trip (pic in signature) and one rim was trashed enough that it would slowly leak down. All the damage was on the inside of the rim, which surprised me. Thank goodness the rims were free to me and I had 5.

So that is why I repainted the steelies I had and put them back on. They have survived numerous wheelin trips before, and they survived my last.

I had aluminum wheels on another truck and scraped a curb making a U-turn at probably 5mph. It peeled back part of the wheel lip. Sure it still held air fine, but you have to question the durability of a wheel that can be damaged that easily.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Surprisingly I destroyed two steel wheels this year.

I need to get on it and get them replaced.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i say get some new 15x10 black rockcrawlers. very tuff wheels. about 50-60 each i think.

9. mrk5

That doesn't surprise me so much. You do some serious wheelin'! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

That's why I was frustrated when my moderate wheelin' resulted in a damaged rim.

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Steel it is then.

Got your PM by the way, I will probably do that, better price than I found local without shipping. I'll drop you a line, probably end of month.

Along the same lines, will that powder coat (I'm assuming that's how they come)hold up pretty good or should I look at line-x or something? Or just apply a little magic in a can when they get scraped?

Anyone ever rhino'd or line-x'ed wheels?

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Powder will hold up fine.

Spray bomb them when they get scratched later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif