Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice on which 6x9's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Russell Keys, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Advice on which 6x9\'s

I'd like to replace my old 6x9's with a new pair of three way's. Just wondering what would be better...I want to keep the cost down so Im looking at WAL-Mart. They sell Sony Explode, Jensen, and Pioneer. I have a small amp that runs a pair of 6x9's and a pair of 5 1/2's now and will continue to run this set-up. Also what is the best way to waterproof a speaker in the door? I thought I've seen plastic inserts but can't remember where. Thanks-Russell

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

3. RAZOR

RAZOR Registered Member

Re: Advice on which 6x9\'s

I have been on the same quest. I made new insert's for the rear and whanted new speakers but funds are tight! I got the pioneer's at wal-mart for 69.00bucks
    I found that the 3 way pioneer's sound just as good as my buddys POLK'S. The sony's are crap! The waterproofing is going to have to come from cruchfeild. If you take your time you can find it on a Ebay store but the price is to high. Plus if your crafty and clearnce is NOT a problem 6x9 boxes will improve the sound and when instaled with rubber seal will cure your water proof needs .The boxes are also at wal-mart .I think they run around 16.00 bucks.Make sure you have room for the boxes before getting ride of the return slip. I made my own .I did not have the 16.00 bucks
    FROM THE LAND OF THE AMISH &
    WIDER IS BETTER - LATER ERIC
    P.S I Hope I was able to help

4. Russell Keys

I've had Pioneer before and am leaning toward them. I was just looking for some input on other brands. The listening display at Wal-Mart sucks and doesn't give a really good idea of what they'll sound like. thanks, Russell

5. Russell Keys

I think I'm gonna go with the Pioneer's. For the price the quality is good. I found the waterproof inserts at a local stereo shop. I think I'm gonna put the smaller round speakers I have in the doors and put the 6x9's in the side panels behind the front seats. Thanks for the input-Russell

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I would say Pioneer also, but If you want to forget about the waterproofing and put a good speaker in I will sell you a set of Memphis that are 129.95 in our store. We use these in boats and have had no problems, even when cleaned with a pressure washer. I would let you have a set for 70.00 shipped via UPS to your door. That is right near cost on them, just because you are a fellow K5er. Send me some email and check them out on the net. They would be the new Memphis PR93 3 way with swivel tweeters.

BozoWise@aol.com as always I would work with any K5er on stereo equipment since I own a shop. Also always looking for trades on Blazer goodies.