Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice wanted about buying donor truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cj7jeep81, Sep 18, 2003.

1. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I am looking to buy a donor truck for a couple of projects. I am planning on buying it from a junk yard. I need the axles, engine, and transmission. I plan on doing a full rebuild on the engine, and probably the transmission. On the axles, I will replace whatever is needed. The only thing I am worried about with buying from a junk yard is getting it home to find out the block is cracked or the transmission is complete junk and not rebuildable. I could try to buy one from someone, but finding one with all the parts I need is much easier at the junkyard.
    Any advice?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Actually you would be better off buying a cheap parts truck out of the paper that is broke down. Most junk yard trucks are going to be partially stripped unless you can get them right as they come in. But even then most yards seem to charge alot for them as well.

If you are worried about the condition of everything find a cheap running truck that you can test drive /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

I haven't been looking too hard yet, but K20's with a manual transmission don't pop up in the papers very often for $1,000 or less. A junkyard nearby will sell a truck for between $200 and $800 depending on how stripped it is. They are pretty easy to work with, and would probably either have what I need or let me know when they get one.

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

oh you didnt say K30, that changes things bigtime!
    good luck finding one in a junkyard that still has anything good on it, K10 would be much easier...a junkyard will probably want more than 800 for the pair of axles alone....

5. cj7jeep81

cj7jeep81 1/2 ton status

Whoops. Meant to put K20. But you may still be right about the axles.