Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advice??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffcc1, Aug 7, 2005.

1. buffcc1

buffcc1 Registered Member

I am new at this i just got a 6in lift for my 84 blazer, I will be getting 35's. My question is do i need to change my gearing? And if so where is a good place to start as far as type and place to purchase? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5

Well first I would recommend getting a 4" lift for your 35's. You will have to trim the corners on your front fenders at least to keep them off your tires.

First you need to find out what gears you have. 3.73 or 4.11 would work fine with 35's, but you should also consider what tranny you have. It all depends how much you drive on the highway/freeway too.

As for suspension options check out www.diy4x4.com for a rear shackle flip, which is a great option for 4" rear lift without blocks. You can also start by looking at tuff country springs at www.offroaddesign.com for the front setup.

Remember with your lift you will need longer shocks, brakelines, and probably driveshafts. You will also need a raised steering arm to correct your steering geometry.

This is the best place to start, I'm glad you found us.

Jesse

ha ha just noticed it said you already have a 6" lift. Is it all spring or what?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2005
  3. buffcc1

How to tell?

My lift is all springs. But how can i tell what gears i have?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

best to pull the cover and do the gear oil change and look at ring gear #s stamped in to the ring gear. this will help us help you find out what you have. and at the same time the oil will be changed as who knows when it was changed last.

4" kit will work great. but with the 6" in a blazer lots of drive line angles to play with and will need new drive shafts also.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Depends on what gears you have now and what transmission you have. To a lesser extent, what engine you have may be a factor as well.

avoid Geniune Gears at all costs... most of the other ones are a-ok. Gear tech isn't rocket science, and most manufacturers have it pretty well figured out. As far as where to buy them, try either BWP or CCOR either one can get you a good deal on Yukon gears.

j

6. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

divide the number of teeth on pinion gear into the number of teeth on the ring gear......or look for a tag on one of the cover bolts.
    Depending on what year the truck is chances are it has 3.07 or 3.08's.

7. buffcc1

Thanks All

Hey guys Thanks for the info. I am sure i will be asking more ??'s there seems to be a great bit of knowledge on this forum.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you will be back for sure:D :D :D