Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

advise? comments?Shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, May 1, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok so when i got my lift i got super lift shocks, and they have around 1500 miles on them, and they are rusted and shot, they dont work i mgiht as well not run shocks
    My QUestion
    is that normal for them?
    bilstein
    5100 series, i was looking at, are they any good
    rancho
    no luck with them, just me but i dont like them
    what kinda shocks should i run on this thing /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Bilstein is a high quality brand... i dont know specifics on the 5100 series though. I run (and like) Doetsch Tech DT8000 series shocks. Its just my opinion, but I think they are the best shock you can buy for under $50 a pop... they are ~$35 ea. from WTO...

j

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run Dick Cepek Racing 77's on my truck because that is what was installed with the lift. I don't recommend them, but they lasted way longer then 1500. Here is what I know and have heard.

DT8000: Heard many good things
    RS9000: Put them on my dads 1 ton Ford and they are sweet. I have heard of problems with them loosing seals though.
    RS5000: Decent shock, rides stiff (heard)

I have been told that the new ProComp MX6 shocks are the shiznit. I have been told that they are better then the RS9000's are. They are expensive though.

4. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Doetsch Tech DT8000 series shocks

[/ QUOTE ]

where can i get them at been looking but not in the right place i guess

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

www.westtexasoffroad.com

give 'em a call. Lots of peeps here have ordered em so I'm sure they'll know exactly what u r talkin about. The longest 8000s have about 13" of travel which is nice if u are building a flexy rig...

j

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I Ordered a Set of Bilsteins for my 88 Tow rig Sub yesterday. $240 bucks I hope it's worth it. The Shocks that are on it are done. I guess those factory shocks on have so much life in them LOL.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    where can i get them

[/ QUOTE ]
    summitracing.com

part number is DOE-8403
    That is for the Doetch Tech 8403s. I run them front and rear. They are the longest travel 8000s in the eyelet style that we all use.

I like mine!
    -- Mike

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

we sell a TON of shocks at work.... Bilstein 5100's are our biggest seller and we NEVER get any complaints. I personally run rs9000's on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and seriously regret it /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. They are not very efficient in terms of prolonged offroading (shock fade) due to the double (or triple?) tube design they build up heat much faster than a bilstein (monotube) and to top it off the rancho's aren't even gas charged so they tend to foam up and fade even faster /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. IMHO a bilstein 5100 is the best shock that you can buy without going to a full race shock ($$$) /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif. When checking out other options any shock should be fine so long as it is gas charged and preferably monotube. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif