Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Advise for buying cars from dealers...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Feb 22, 2007.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Got any? Good tips for getting them to come down in price? Looking to buy a tow rig......Thanks in advance.....

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

If you want a chevy tow rig then go striaght to the nearest Ford dealer....

And find the chevy that is nearest what you would like in the trade in area..
    (had you going for a second didn't I ??)

Then "test drive" it straight to the chevy dealer with the ford dealership sticker in plain view of all the salesman.

You will get a new Chevy for the same price if not less than the ford/chevy trade in you were "test driving"

It worked for me whne I bought my 98 Z-71

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Know what you want to pay, and don't be afraid to walk on the deal. Any deal they say is "only for today" will normally be there tomorrow. Don't get to attached before teh deal is done, or definitely don't show them you are attached to the truck. It will kill you in the deal process.

4. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

I heard maybe a week or two ago that Chevy was completely overstocked with Trucks and SUV's. Something like a 30 day surplus on hand. I'll bet if you go in stating that you know that you could probably save thousands.

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Balls. Big Hairy Balls.

Go in one dealer and cut a deal on paper, don't sign anything. When they give you the "lowest we can go" for about the 4th time take their on paper deal and walk. Just say you've gotta think about it. Drive to the next dealer and show them the paper. When that dealer says "low as we can go" pic up their phone and proceed to call the first dealer. When they ask what the hell is going on tell them you are going to give the first dealer a chance to beat the current offer. Ask if they want to talk to the first dealer because you don't care who you buy it from, you just want the best deal.

They will get you off the phone quick with a better deal. Take that deal.

If they don't, walk on the second dealer and go back to the first and tell them you went to another dealer. Negociate with the first dealer a little and sign the deal.

Takes big balls because for it to work you can't get mad, upset, personal or anything. A strict business attitude with no emotion.

6. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Dang nice advice guys..

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

The first time I went in I refused the test drive, and had them start working on the price. that really threw them off. When they sent the closer over for the "What can we do to make you sign the papers today" speech and I very politely told him, I have given myself permission to buy anything I want as long as I thought about it first, and the heavy sales push, would just push me out the door. I also pointed at my truck sitting outside the glass and told them I didn't have to buy, I just wanted to buy. I walked out after I got the price.

Went back a week later, and got them down a little more. I also took it for a test drive. Got the new price, told them what I wanted to pay, they refused, so I got up and walked out for two weeks.

After about ten calls I went back. I had done some research on the internet and found they were about five grand high. When I went back the third time with the paperwork we had worked out before I pointed at the bottom line, told them they were 5 grand high, knock off $2500 and I would sign the paperwork. They said they couldn't do that and I stood up and started putting on my coat. The salesman at that point knew I would walk out so went back and got them to do it. I was happy with the price, and they still made a little.

I was also willing to buy a 2004 right at the end of the year, so they wanted to get rid of the old stock. Perhaps you could look for a 2006 so you have a little negotiating strength. This was my first time buying a new vehicle, but I found out that not HAVING to buy, and not being afraid to walk out really seemed too help.

Good luck!

8. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

Find someone here on CK5 that works at a Chevy dealer and talk to them:D

In case you didn't get it, that's me;) What are you looking for?

9. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Know before you get there exactly what you want, how much you want to pay, and if possible have your own financing lined up..

You can negotiate your best deal, then give it all back if you let the dealer finance you..

Learn when to be quiet.. if the dealer gives you a counter offer, just sit there and drink your coffee.. see how low he'll go.. he knows this trick too, and will probably use it on you, so wait him out..in negotiations, whoever talks first usually loses..

Also, research the heck out of blue book prices, what you see people asking for similar trucks, etc.. thius will help you know what a "good deal" sounds like when you hear it, and reduced the chance of you getting beat by your emotions because you want something..

we did this when shopping for my wife's durango.. we already had gotten pre - approved for a given amount thru my credit union, and we had looked at so many first gen durangos, we knew what a good deal was when we found the one we bought..

I taught lisa to decode the VIN numbers, so if she found one on a lot, she could learn how it was equipped, and we had a list of prices vs. model year and condition, so if the price wasn't on the window, she knew "ballpark" what a decent asking price should be, before a salesman ever opened his mouth..

We ended up getting screaming deal on a 98 318 powered SLT from a wholesale lot we've dealt with in the past.. turned out to be a great vehicle..

it was a great negotiation on my wifes part..sticker was almost 10 grand.. the owner says.. " do you want to go round and round, or do you want my best deal"? lisa says " best deal".. owner says " 8900, and your truck".. lisa leans back, and says.. " don.. this is ME your talking too.. I brought my MOTHER here to buy a car from you".. it's quiet for about a minute.. he says " ok, 7 grand and your truck".. done..

She stuck to her guns, and knew what she wanted and what it should cost.. I was so proud..

good luck..

10. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The best way to get their 'best' price is never set foot in the dealership. Go online and figure out what you want. Then email 4-5 dealerships for their best price. They have one chance to get your business. If you really want to turn up the heat, send one email to all the dealers. That way they see all the other dealers email addresses.

The other thing that will help is end of month or better yet end of quarter shopping. So Feb 28 or March 31, they will be sweating to make theur numbers.

11. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If your not paying cash, watch the back end of the deal.

It's better to have financing set up with your own lender before you go in, but don't tell them you've got your own financing. Dealer's make money off their in-house financing, so if you beat him up good on the sticker price, he'll still sell it to you expecting to make up some money on the financing.

Also, the last 2 vehicles I've bought off a dealer, the terms I've agreed to were not what was in the actual paperwork when I sat down to sign off. Make sure and read it all, they'll try to screw you there also.

12. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I say don't.

I ordered my tow rig from the fleet sales department (of the dealership). Paid $500.00 over invoice.

13. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

or sometimes you don't get a better deal

I sold my 92 acura 1 month ago, and started looking for a car. I wanted a Subaru-researched and looked for a whole month. Seen this one on ebay
    started at $7400, 1 month later it never sold, internet price of $5950
    went in and tried to bargain. they would not come off a single penny
    my wife and I talked and looked 3 more days(will be her car when I sell her Honda) and decided to buy it-they ended up taking a total of $100 of of the total sale and ttl-This is the first time in my life I could not talk my way down on a car, but still thank i got a good car-super clean-here is a link below of the vehicle-also- the link is from 2 weeks ago

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=215235792&dealer_id=100000576&car_year=1999&model=&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=100&make=SUB&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=75238&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=8000&cardist=11

14. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My wife's current vehicle was an online car we bought off a local dealer. She spent the time and test drove every thing she was interested in, then narrowed it down to exactly what she wanted. Then she watched a few dealers websites for about a month keeping track of prices,mileage, etc.

One day she called me and said, "go here, buy this car". I went down, spent about an hour hammering out the details with a sales guy and picked it up the next day. Probably the best car buying experience I've ever had.

15. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

When I bought the wife's Highlander I just went into the dealer with my paperwork in order. I had an edmunds.com printout for the exact vehicle I wanted, options and everything. I told the salesman what vehicle I wanted, and he searched for it. He found it 50 miles away, and went to pick it up.

When he got it back to the lot I showed him the printout, and told him that that was all I would pay. He took my printout in the back and came back 10 min later and told me that I had the price. He then asked what I wanted for my financing. I told him 3.9%, and had that 5 min later.

All told I got a $31,000 2005 Highlander for $26,000, and it only took me a bout an hour.

16. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't buy new - buy used - a new rig depreciates 40% in the first 4 years.

Let someone else take that hit, then find someone that "NEEDS" to sell their rig.

You can find nice 3-4 year old Duramax crew cabs or powerstrokes for $22K & less

(coincidentally, which is what your new rig will be worth in 3-4 years)

17. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here is my experience.
    As others said have the attitude that you can and will walk. I wanted a car that the city owned for a daily driver. I knew it was a government vehicle (high mileage and not Joe family driver). Know what you are buying have facts like what were the noted flaws (not as you see them) for the vehicle. Bad gas mileage prone to rust, etc.

I walked in at 8:00 am talked with a sales man for an hour and a half. He then took me to their closer. He asked for my keys and had someone take my car for a test drive.

It was now almost 10:00 am and we were getting no where the hang up was I wanted the GE extended warranty for their cost $75.00 I told him if I can't get it for that the deal was off. He was like "so you don't want it then?"

I said I want it but only if it is at your cost. He whined and cried I said "Wheres my keys to my car I'm leaving". He was like don't you want the car? I said how about you give me your address and I will come over at 3 in the morning to you at your house. I am tired and its my 3:00 am I am leaving.

We closed the deal the car was $5,500.00 to start I got the car $4,300.00 it was three years old had 87,000 miles and had had a rear quarter replace from hitting a tree.

Have the I can walk and be willing to do it. Thats how I bought my 1980 Z28 new saw it on car carrier and went to dealer. I test drove it we couldn't come to terms I left. I was called three days later asked if I still wanted the car.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1) go to edmunds.com
    2) use it to find out the fair price people are paying for the car/truck you want with the options you want.
    3) go to dealer, test drive, look rig over
    4) if you like it and all seems good, offer them what edmunds says people are paying (don't tell them where you got the #, they hate that site, lol!).
    5) spend the next hour telling the salesman "No." when he/she tries to get you to go higher. As many times as is necessary, stand up and physically head for the door to leave.
    6) buy car for the fair price.
    7) go home happy.

worked for me the one time I bought a new car. I don't want to negotiate a price for 6 hours, constantly inching upwards, giving them more $... I want to know exactly what I am going to spend before I ever set foot in the door. Don't budge, they need you a LOT more than you need them. Enjoy their little games... understand they are just trying to get you to spend more and laugh it off. No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, deal. :thumb:

j

ps: never, ever trade a car in when you buy a new one. They will never give you as much $ as you could get on craigslist or the local paper... and it just opens you up to the classic "we won't give you your keys back, so you can't leave!" game. :rolleyes: If someone did that to me, I'd stand right in front of them and call the police... that is one game I will not play.

19. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some suggestions here are good. some bad. Some are the reasons that dealers have to "play games"

Know what you want. know what you are willing to pay. Don't get in a rush. Don't be a jerk. The salesperson is trying to make a living and probably makes less then you and puts in more hours. If it's a new truck then post a vin and I will tell you anything you want to know.

Find a place that you are comfortable doing business with. You shouldn't have to threaten to get the deal you want. If you only get the deal you want by beating up the sales staff then they are not going to be the most helpful people when there is a problem.

Can you tell yet that I sell trucks. The best customers are not the ones that I make the most on. The ones who treat me like a person who is there to help and not a roadblock to their ultimate deal are the best customers.

There are customers who know what they want and could easily buy a truck sight unseen off a website. the rest of the buying public isn't sure what they want/need and the sales consultant is there to help them figure that out.

If you want the easiest way though. go to 3 places and get a 1 price on the same truck at each one. go back to the lowest place and offer them $500 less then their number. You can do all that in one day. no back and forth and no getting 10 prices at the same place.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

which suggestions here are the "reason that dealers have to play games"??? Holding peoples keys, 'bringing in the closer', having you wait for hours hoping they can wear you down etc etc etc. That stuff is almost universal, and pretty much sucks. I know everyone is trying to make a buck, but some of the tactics here are just lame. Imagine if you went to buy a pool table... and at some point the pool table store guy got ahold of your keys and wouldn't give them back to you. My guess is, your response would be pretty negative. For some reason though, car dealership people can do what no one else in the retail world can do. Pretty lame if you ask me.

I ain't sayin' that you do these things gmc, but they are exceptionally common.... it ain't like its just one or two bad dealerships out there. When you deal with actions like these, you pretty much have to enjoy stickin' it to 'em any way you can. I'm not suggesting that anyone be mean or angry or whatever.... just don't budge on price. Do it with a smile on your face... I did.

j