Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aero tank 40 gallon tank install

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JungleBoy, Jul 30, 2001.

1. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I have the body off and the rear x-member out and am trying to position the tank properly. The tank is significantly deeper front to back than the stocker. Anyone installed one with body on? Is the leading edge of the tank in approximately stock position?
    Thanks in advance
    JB

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I can't comment on the stock tank, but the leading edge of my tank is 5-3/8" behind the axle tube of my 12-bolt. It's a pretty tight squeeze in there.

3. Rooba

Rooba Registered Member

There's a guy on here that has a gas tank installation procedure w/ pictures. Don't know if it would help or not... I don't remember the guy's web site, so I'm posting this hoping he'll pipe up. I promise to bookmark it this time.

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Do you have the Aerotank?

5. Steve_Chin

I'm not absolutely sure that it is the Aero Tank, but it is 40 gallons, and since Aero is the only one who makes a 40 gallon job, I think that it's an Aero.

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Steve
    Good to se you back. The Aero is a welded steel affair, I guess it weighs 50-60 pounds, maybe more, with flanges for mounting welded on the sides. They sent 3 bolts per side for mounting on the frame. It looks like to get the tank within 6" of the rear axle tube, those mounting flanges will have to make up on the frame kickup., not on the flat behind the rear wheel area.
    On another note, the Advance Adapters stuff showed up yesterday (I am in Peru now) and the NV4500 install will start next week.
    JB

7. Steve_Chin

Hmmm... Maybe it isn't an Aero after all. It is all welded steel and pretty heavy, but it mounts using some 1.25" wide steel straps. No flanges for mounting it to the frame. It does look a lot like the picture that Aero has on their web site, though (although it is kind of rusty). Anyhow, the tank itself won't go any farther back in the chassis to give any more room for the rear axle. It pretty much butts right up against the mounting point for the rear flexible brake line.

8. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

I wander how many different styles aero made during their years in business,I have one but it uses long bolts that pass thru the tank and into the bed of the blazer in order to hold it in place.

72 K-5 cst blazer 2 1/2 lift 33" bfg's
    69 custom 30 longstepside 4x4 6" lift 36" directionals
    87 K-5 stock

9. Murph

Murph Registered Member

I had the same set up - bolts that pass through the tank to hang from the bed. It bent the bed of the truck where the bolts went through. Also, the float of the sending unit got stuck on the inside so it never registered over 1/4 tank. I took out the tank when I went with TPI. Now I miss the range. I am thinking of cleaning it up and puting it back in.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry 'bout not "piping up" sooner.
    I got the pic's on my website of the intallation of a NWMP 37 gal. tank. It's not an Aero tank. But I've heared people refer to the 37 gal tank as a "40 gallon" before.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=4>http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=4</a>
    The 1st pic of the installation process is on page 3, everything else on page 4.
    The instructions that came with the gas tank kinda sucked. But after taking some time fitting the tank in place, I found that the straps bolt up to 4 holes that are already in the frame. Makes it pretty easy. I also had to paint the gas tank because UPS scratched it up, and the paint that comes on it is crap.
    Hope this helps.
    Anymore questions just let me know.

Ryan

11. Steve_Chin

Good point, CST-30. The guy I bought my Blazer from said that the tank was dealer-installed. It is suspended from the frame by some threaded rods and the aforementioned straps and looks VERY much like the picture on Aero's web site (I can't find their URL any more, so if anyone's got it, please post so I can bookmark it).

12. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

13. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

Ryan B, how much more fuel does your new tank hold, by the pics I saw it looks like it is probably manufactured by the same company as your old tank, just updated a little, those side brackets were more than likely added by someone.
    Steve I've tried aero's website and dont get any pics.
    My tank can be seen in the last 5 pics of this album.

87 K-5 stock&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by CST-30 on 09/02/01 11:30 PM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by CST-30 on 09/02/01 11:32 PM.</FONT></P>

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    clickable
    <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1292143&amp;a=9630863>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1292143&amp;a=9630863</a>

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

15. CST-30

CST-30 Registered Member

Thanks Bobk, I couldnt figure out how to do that.

87 K-5 stock

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

CST-30

I'm not sure who made my first tank. It held around 25 gallons it seemed like, but the sending unit probally hid 10 gallons. (I never ran it so low it was out of gas.)
    So the first tank was probally about a 35 gallon tank.
    The new Tank from Northwest Metal Products hold 37 gal.
    If you look close in the pic's there is a slightly different shape between the two gas tanks.

17. Steve_Chin

CST-30, it appears that they changed their site since I last looked. The last time I looked, the Chevy page had a picture of a tank and set of straps that looked almost exactly like my tank and straps (except they were pretty and mine are UGLY). I'm pretty sure my tank is an Aero because it holds 40 gallons and doesn't look a thing like my buddy's NWMP 37 gallon tank.