Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Affodable locker/gears for 10 bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmy4x4, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I recently lifted my Jimmy (almost done waiting on d-shafts today) and I have the factory 10 bolts front and rear. I want to put 4.88's and some kinda locker or LS without spending a fortune. I plan on swapping 14 bolts maybe this summer, however I must re-gear the 10's now to drive it properly with the 36x14.50 tires. I only do very light offroading and thats either mud/trails or sand (wade fishing) no rocks around here.
    I guess my question is what is a good affordable locker for the 10's suitable for my daily driver/weekend offroader that wont cost and arm and a leg?

btw....if anyone has what I need for sale, shoot me an email at johnfbakerjr@yahoo.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

<font color="red">(I did a search before I posted this)</font> /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it would be cheaper to swap in a ff14b that already had the gear ratio you want and buy wheel spacers/lug adapters so you still could run 6 lug rims than it would be to regear/lim slip the rear 10 bolt. just a suggestion from someone that dumped WAY to much money in 10 bolt axles.

at any rate, in my 10 bolts I have tru tracs front and rear, and I liked them a lot.

j

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

friend of mine has an 82 6.2L K10 and he wants posi put in his axles but i explained to him what it takes to set up posi in GM and dana axles and he is confused now, he thinks its a ssimple swap, but its not though, he said he was just gonna have me put posi in them, but i told him thats not soemthing that just is a bolt in easy.

so i guess someoptionsfor 1/2 ton rig guys to get posi would be good, but really they cant dokmuch cept buy aftermarket and have put in professionally, or buy axles withposi already, or go to 3/4 ton axles and hope that rear is already factory locking diff,
    i think that theres an aftermarket company who does make some kind of posi unit that bolts in without having to set up teeth contact and such,
    or maybe not ?
    fogot now.,

hmm..

4. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

If you're planning on putting new axles under it in the near future don't bother with a locker for now. Just wait until you have the 14 bolt. I blew up my rear ten bolt(exploded the carrier,ring gear, spiders, and chipped the pinion). I didn't have enough time to track sown a 14 bolt. I picked up a carrier, gears, bearings, and a lock-right for fairly cheap (somewhere near the $450 or $500 range I think) from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I also had it sitting at my door step in 3 days from ordering it. Never the less though they were just a little cheaper than Drivetrain Direct, with both places being much cheaper than any of the local shops. I did the install so that saved; however, it still would have been cheaper to get a 14 bolt and do the swap but nobody near by had one in the yards so... I'm just another with a VERY expensive 10bolt! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    it would be cheaper to swap in a ff14b that already had the gear ratio you want and buy wheel spacers/lug adapters so you still could run 6 lug rims than it would be to regear/lim slip the rear 10 bolt. just a suggestion from someone that dumped WAY to much money in 10 bolt axles.

at any rate, in my 10 bolts I have tru tracs front and rear, and I liked them a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya, but I have a friend whos a mechanic and is gonna install and setup the gears for me for free so all I need is the parts. I just dont have the $$ right now for the 14 bolt setup the way I want, so the 10's will have to do for now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I agree with them in not locking it. Especially since you are planning on going 3/4 or 1 ton shortly, and also if you only do moderate wheeling.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I hear ya, but I have a friend whos a mechanic and is gonna install and setup the gears for me for free so all I need is the parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh... even just the parts are more than a ff14b...

you can get em for $100-200 dude... your 10 bolt gears and posi + install kit gonna be less than $200?

j

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    setup the gears for me for free so all I need is the parts. I just dont have the $$ right now for the 14 bolt setup the way I want, so the 10's will have to do for now

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is the economy in this? You want/need the 14FF, you have a 10 bolt currently, and you plan on spending $300+ on parts for the 10 bolt???

You can't find a 14FF for $200 or so, and save another $100 to buy gears for the 14FF??

You can't complain about not being able to afford the 14FF if you can sink the same or just slightly less money into the 10 bolt for temporary use.

Sounds more like you don't want to "suck up" the pain of driving an open, badly geared, 10 bolt for the week or two it will take to save up the money to get the 14FF and parts.

(note: I based the 14ff price on local prices, and the locker/posi guess on what the 8.5" stuff costs approx.)

Not attacking you, just trying to save you some money in the long run, like everyone else is.

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you can get em for $100-200 dude

[/ QUOTE ]
    Plus wheels, bearings and seals, brakes, gears if you really wants 4.88s, etc.
    If you really are planning the 14B soon I wouldn't spend bucks on gears for the 10B. But make sure you figure out how much it will really cost to go 3/4 or 1 ton. It sure cost me more than I had expected. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. jekbrown

dont need new wheels... just run spacer/lug adapters. Depending on the axle, he might not need bearings/seals or brakes either. Good catch on the gearz tho, i forgot he wanted 4.88s. you can get 4.56 stock (mine has em!) but you'd have ta pay for 4.88s...

j

11. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Are the spacer/lug adapters any cheaper than wheels?

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you can afford gears for both 10 bolter, you can afford a 14 bolt FF rear axle. They usely run around $150.00.

13. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

your profile didn't shed any light on your location, but if you are anywhere near texas, 77mudbuddy has a D44 front for sale that is already setup with 4.88 gears and a locker.

as for the rear axle, i'd have to agree on the 14 bolt suggestion. The initial cost of the axle would only add 150 to 200 to the cost of the parts you are already talking about buying... and it won't bust wasting all your cash, the first time you hit a good obstacle. Some 8 lug junk yard rims should do the job if you don't want to drop the cash on new rims right away.

14. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Are the spacer/lug adapters any cheaper than wheels?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes.

j

15. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    your profile didn't shed any light on your location, but if you are anywhere near texas, 77mudbuddy has a D44 front for sale that is already setup with 4.88 gears and a locker

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in Sealy Texas which is only about 120 miles from you, where does 77mudbuddy live?

I guess you guys are right about just waiting, I will start the 14 bolt search asap. I personally think 4.56 gears would be fine for 36's, I was just looking at 4.88's for future growth /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for the advice guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No they're not. I payed $160 for all four of my wheels delivered. If I'd gone with 8" wide wheels it would have been cheaper yet.

17. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am in Sealy Texas which is only about 120 miles from you, where does 77mudbuddy live?

[/ QUOTE ]

He lives across the street from me, in Pflugerville, Texas. As for the gears, you have OD.... 4.88's will be great with 36 inch tires. <font color="orange">77 mud buddy </font> was running them with his old 35's and a TH350 (no OD).

18. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Got my spacer/6lug adapters for about $150

19. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Got my (2) rear 8 lug wheels from summit for $140 shipped.

summit 8 lug wheels

Yes they are white but that is what spray paint is for. Hey they are only $66 each that's a decent option if you ask me.

20. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

Just PMed you with my D44 info.