Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Afro got some new toys, winch mount advice needed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Aug 2, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got the winch and steel for my graduation present, then I bought the bender myself (I found the kitty). The winch mount plate is made of 3/8". My problem is that, as you can see, the frame is curved, and the winch is round. How do I go about taking care of that? I dont want to weld on the plate because I dont feel comfortable having a 12000 pound winch yanking on my welds. I am probably going to have make some spacers to move the plate down a little bit because of core support clearance issues. I am wanting to mount the bolts on the little wings sticking out, in front of and behind the riveted bracket. I havnet bent anything with the bender yet, the bumper will be my first project. I'm waiting to build it until I'm done with the winch mount though. So, any suggestions on compensating for the angles? Also, can I turn the engagement handle housing about 90 degrees? The way I'm going to mount it, I wont be able to get to the lever. I've seen it done somewhere else before, but was just wondering. Thx

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Talk to DP_90 here on CK5. He mounted my winch (15,000) bwtn the frame rails and had to modify the release lever to fit. He ended up fabbing a new lever system. I cant explain it, but he probably can.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Paging DP_90 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif