Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

after 4.5 years I get this !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JimmyJuneau, Feb 27, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I couldnt beleive it monday night the boss called me and told me to meet him for breakfast on tuesday morning as he was flying in that night form another town. So Im thinking now what. Well I meet him for breakfast yesterday and he tell me the reason hes here is that he got an offer form someone to buy the shop. I said to myself well ok ill see what happens.

So later that day the "NEW" guy comes in to take a look at the place and less than two hours later the had a deal. But the deal didnt involve ME! It turns out this "NEW" guy owns another shop in town which is or kinda was our competition. So this "NEW" guy told my boss that he isnt interested in hiring me since he already has 3 of his own people. Its kinda funny in a way this new guy is so stupid that he let 4 of his employees stay on the pay roll why we were killing him and now he wants to fire me on friday and then he will most likely rehire me in order for me to tell him whats going on and help him with the transition. Should I say F*@K it or should I help him out? What woudl you do?

1985 GMC JIMMY

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Walk away with a smile on your face...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

dude-

take your extra coin, go into business for yourself, use your charm to take all the existing clients over with you, and feel like a big man.

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

don't make a stupid business decision... a stupid business decision is to take money out of your pocket. take the job, but at the same time don't stop looking for a new one. jump the place with NO advance notice, or no more then he gave you... but try not to burn the bridge.

in essence give him every bit of thoughtfulness he gave you, but don't take the money outta your pocket in the meantime.... just bid your time, and he'll think alls well and he's got ya by the balls. then when you do leave you'll blow him away, and make him wish he'd treated you better in the first place cuz you were a great employee.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I would put on my walking shoes... "It's been fun,but time to move on"

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>I'm Discombobulated </a>

6. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

If your one of those guys that can have another job, in like 5 minutes, I'd tell the guy to take a flying ****.

IT'S MOSTLY MAUI WAUI.... BUT IT'S GOT SOME LABRADOR IN IT

7. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

personally i would tell him to f*&amp;k off.... but that's just me.... oh and if it were me and when i left the last day... for some reason the computer system would crash and the store was broken into that night.... because someone forgot to lock the doors.... somethin just to piss him off..... or really f&amp;%k with him..... get some of the police line tape and chalk... take a friend with you for a midnight run.. put up the tape over the doors... and make the chalk outlines inside the shop on the floor and outside in the parking lot.... oh and take some tomato juice with you to use along with the outlines..... ooooo i think i'm gonna use that one....hehehehh time to play some pranks....

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I don't do the "lets see how much we can **** over the guy". It's fun to dream about though.

On friday when he lets you go, that's it. Buh bye! I would tell him that if he needs help in transitioning, then he needs to keep you on, but when he fires you, that's it. You don't go back. That's what I would do. You might be able to talk him into keeping you on till the transition's over and who knows, he might see that you're better and let one of the other guys go.

<font color=red>Stupid people shouldn't tell other stupid people how not to be stupid</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'd move on. 4 years is a long time to stay in one place, and too long in one place can make you go stale and forget other aspects of your business.

How sure are you that he'll rehire you? From his point of view, there's no gain in letting you go then asking you to come back, unless he's looking to cut your pay. But, as an employer, he probably already knows it's safer for him to not let you go if he eventually needs you, than it is to let you go, and assume you'll come back. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that happening, I'd be out sewing my oats and leave that place behind. As in, out the door friday, seeya, this was a milemarker I passed already.

So what I would do, is spread out and get a new gig before the deal is done, which I guess will be tomorrow? Then let him fire me and see if he has some comp package.

I've been pondering some career/employment moves myself lately... Anyway, that's how I would handle it.

Ratch
    CK5 album &lt;-- New Wheelin' pics!
    This is not a new signature.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Get you a god severance package. Make sure they think your going to collect unemployement if the severance package is not got enough coin to cover you for 6 months.
    When he want's you back make sure you get top pay. Keep your eye out for a better job. but don't burn your bridges.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. JimmyJuneau

Is it true that when a company is sold and they dont give you any notice about it that they have to give you a severance package?

Oh yeah also the people that own it right now and that are selling it to this other guy offered me a job in another town at their shop.

1985 GMC JIMMY

12. JimmyJuneau

Is it true that when a company is sold and they dont give you any notice about it that they have to give you a severance package?

Oh yeah also the people that own it right now and that are selling it to this other guy offered me a job in another town at their shop.

1985 GMC JIMMY

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'd just take it in stride (hard to do, been there and wanted to kill someone myself) and not say anything back... if you tell someone to f*** off... that makes you look bad. But if you take it, and take the customers with you, then whose laughing now... you will be of course? Better to leave things as well as you can then to leave them negative and nasty. In todays touchy feeling world... some people would rather go on crud like how you said screw you... oh gosh, and judge you unfairly on that... then finding out the true reason you said it because they deserved it.... only burn bridges once you are 150% sure you will never ever need to cross them again period.... good luck! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

14. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

take the the job, give him bad advice during the transition, and walk away at the end with a smirk on your face and a seathing desire for him to crash and burn based on what you told him would be a great idea.

he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it.

15. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

They don't "HAVE" to do anything, but as Grimmy said if you collect unemployment that will go against him, sometimes it is better for them to put together these packages for the employees, cause most of the time it is not just one person who is leaving, or being asked to leave.

Don't do any of the "getback" things that were mentioned above, that kind of stuff is illegal and a record won't help you find another job. Bottom line is, you will have a record and he has insurance that will cover whatever you do to the place.

"Whatever happened to my Rock N Roll?"
    IM nOt wEiRd, i jUsT lOvE tHe sHiFt kEy!!

16. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Remember one thing, "what goes around, comes around." or "we'll reap what we sow". You're a better person than to lower your standards to theirs. If you need the job, accept it and then lay out your plans for another one when the opportunity arises. If moving to another town and continue working for your old employer is an option, go for it. But whatever, keep your head on straight, keep everything in prespective, it is only a job.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

17. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

If it were me, I would say adios on the last day, and if he wants your help in the transition, sub contract yourself to him. You could get another job and still sub part time for twice what you were making to begin with. Remember you will need to be compensated for your expenses (tools, mileage, time, room and board, etc.) Just a thought.

Pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh>http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh</a>

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

18. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thinkin' that if he hires you back just to suck the knowledge outta yer head, yer gone anyway once he's got his feet on the ground......why should you train your replacement......if your present boss has offered you a job in another town, I'd consider that option as well as looking for other employment......you can walk away with your head up....nobody is doing you any favors.....the way I see it, you are expendible.....you could sub-contract back to him (you name the fee)......I wouldn't do anything juvenile since it is a direct reflection on you as a person.....of course, a whole lot depends on the job market in your area....there's been a lot of layoffs and cutbacks lately.....a move to another town may not be such a bad idea....

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

19. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

For something like this, especially when there was competition involved, you need to play your cards close to your vest.

In other words, DO NOT tell him everything you know. Only what you think he needs to know. If you tell him everything you know and were taught, you may as well kiss your job good bye as you will not be the only person in town with the "knowledge", but another person will have the same amount of knowledge as you, if not, more. [​IMG]

The whole idea here to to make yourself look good to the other guy, but do so in a way that he cannot take advantage of you and your brain.

Do not do anything brash, like telling him off or '**** off' or whatever. That makes you look bad and word gets around on what type of person you are. For someone like this, the new owner is just not worth the time and hassle to deal with.

Life goes on and so will you! [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>