Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

After Flip brackets...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jeff427, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    This is how the springs look after I installed my home made shackle reversal brackets. I flipped the overloads (thick one on the bottom) over so I could get more articulation, but the springs have flatened out more than I expected. There is no tranny or transfercase in it, so there isn't even the stock load on the springs. They weren't this flat before (I got them out of an 85 Jimmy that atually sat a little high in the back), but I also cleaned up the springs and painted them, and then added a liberal coating of dry graphite (graphite doesn't attract dirt) to them so they would work better (they move really easy, maybe too good). Has anyone else had this problem after installing shackle flips?? Will adding extra stock leafs to the spring pack help, or should I put some add a leafs in??

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think I'd flip the overload spring back the way it was. Thats prolly why you got the loss in height. Either that or get the '0' spring rate block for the rear.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

tRusty, if I flip the overloads back over it will ride on them all the time.

Jeff427

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 75 is the same way. I have 86 Springs on it (4 leaves plus overload. What I did is take the old overload and added it to the pack upside down for an additional 3/4 inch but left the stock 86 overload in the correct way. The 2 overloads never touch except when it's trying to wrap. Mine sits level with the roof off with trail gear in it but with the top on it's a little tail low. I'll live with it though.
    WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN FLEX!!!!!!. I'm ramping 752 and the rear is not my problem. My front shocks are my limiting factor. Once I relocate them I figure mid to high 800's. I can stuff my 32's till they touch the inner fender on stock rims in the back. I may add a 1 inch block if I do anything. I will probably add the wheel spacers once I go to bigger tires. I also have a lot of weight in the very back of the truck. I have a big box bolted down for trail gear and the spare tire racks and gas cans and big rear bumper adding to the problem all hanging out past the bumper. Don't forget to count any racks on the back of the truck as more than the weight would be if it sat dead over the axle. It's hanging out there and has a leverage effect that not only puts more weight on the rear spring it lifts the front some. If I unload my truck even with the roof on it will sit level. Sits high with roof off.
    I'm going to try to move some weight foward in my truck to bring the rear up. Some of my lesser used gear like chains and spare fluids ect can add up quick and since you don't use them often might as well move them up to atleast over the rear axle if not some before it. Going to see about moving all my spare fluids to under the hood as well as some of the spare parts I carry.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Jeff427 - I don't think that is an overload. I've got some one-ton rear springs from Boyce Equip. on mine and the overload spring is about 3/4" thick and nearly flat. It would only be touched if I had a "ton" of weight in the back of my blazer. It looks like to me that's the bottom leaf for your regular spring pack.

My .02,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think BUDDY just nailed it on the head![​IMG] An overload spring only makes contact with the spring pack when its heavily loaded. You flipped your bottom leaf, this is a supposed to be a funtioning part of your leaf pack even with no load on it.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

tRusty, Buddy, that goes along with what Grim said above. I have the overloads from the 85 spring packs, I think I will try flipping the bottom one back over, and put the overloads from the 85 packs upside down underneath (the ones in the pic are the ones that were in it when I got it, along with 6" of stacked blocks, ewwww). I think I will add another leaf on each side to help with all the stuff I have yet to add though (like the bumper, gas tank, spare) maybe I should add two per side![​IMG] Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else that has anything to add please feel free.

Jeff427

8. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This will give you something to compare against, the pic below is from the 1" add-a-leaf product review. I flipped my rear overloads, I have the stock 1990 springs with 1" add-a-leafs and ORD 4" flip, the hard top off in favor of a soft top and the Blazer is sitting level in my garage with 36" swamps. Oh yea, I have a heavy bumper with a 36" spare tire and 2 empty jerry cans hanging off of it and 1/2 of my trail gear over the rear axle. The springs do not touch the overloads at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks Steve, maybe I should look for some 90 springs, those look like they're holding your rig up good.

Jeff427

10. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

How is the ride with one ton springs? I am looking at 3/4 ton spring and am scared to heck about the ride, dont want the teeth boucin out......I want the 3/4 springs to puul my 25' travel trailer?

Built for a purpose.

11. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Rezalb - The ride with the one-ton springs on my truck is great, but I also have a four-wheel pop-up camper on my blazer too. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to put in a sway-bars to stiffen it up on the road, but it's not unmanageable. The camper weighs at least twice as much as the stock hardtop, and I do get a lot of road sway. If I were pulling a twenty foot trailer I'd go with the one tons and maybe some supplemental airbags to help out, they're not too stiff for me but I also have some cushy van captains chairs too. Go with at least 3/4 ton springs with that big of a trailer.

My .02,

Buddy

12. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hey Buddy, I bought some of the one ton over loads from Boyce also. They are longer than my springs. What did you do, disasemble the springs, and use parts of each? Does it bounce all over the road?

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Grim
    There are a bunch of place for fluids under the hood. my friend bought an old Chevy a few months ago and there were about eight bottles of fluids in the fenders, accessible from under the hood.

90K5

14. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

Gopherkiller - the one-ton springs, at least on mine, aren't too long to cause any problems. I didn't do anything to them, just slapped them on. straight bolt-in. You've got a little play with the shackle in the back as to how much longer the springs can be, and I haven't had any problems at all with mine. Their actually A LOT better than the ones I replaced.

I've got a challenge for you though. If you haven't already lifted you're truck, try this, you'll just need shocks and driveshafts. Go to the junkyard and get the front rear spring bracket from any pick-up of your trucks bodystyle. Use that bracket in the back of your rear springs and you've got a homemade shackle flip. Use your one-tons from Boyce and you've raised the rear. Take the old rear spings and swap them to the front, take out a leaf here add-a-leaf there, trial and error until it rides good and then you've lifted the front. Go get some rs9012's and some ford shock towers fab up an upper rear shock mount and you've got a 4" lift and some extreme travel, using all stock chevy parts, except for the ford towers, and for a little over the cost of the shocks. You can pickup a set of the spring hangers for 15.00 around here and it shouldn't be more for the towers.

Let me know how it works, I just don't have the money for the shocks or I'd already have this done,

HTH,

Buddy