Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

After increasing body lift, column gear indicators are shifted. Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigerik, Mar 13, 2001.

1. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

When I put on my Energy Suspension bushings and switched to grade 8 bolts, I got greedy and stuck 3/8" shimmed hockey pucks with holes in them on top of the 3" body lift blocks that have been there for years. Who could blame me for wanting to go 3/8" higher! Anyway, the test drive showed that when the column gear indicator (the thing thaty says (P R N D 2 1)) is not communicating the proper gear. It is shifted by one station; that is, when it says N, it is in reverse and so on. That could be a hazard if someone were to drive my car (like a mechanic). It worked fine with the competently installed 3" body lift. Is there a way to fix this? I don't want to take out the new 3/8" shims. My other truck has a 3" body lift and is also tweaked in the same way, but I have gotten used to it. See my trucks at http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com . 1 ton beasts with 10" lifts and 39" tires! Any tips will be appreciated. TIA [​IMG]!

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That little indicator has been broke on my K5 since I got it, I just count until I get to right gear.
    BTW your website addy is a email addy change the (email) (/email) to (url) (/url) and change ( ) to [ ]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

To fix this there is a small clip on the column, and you can slide it to the position so it works.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The body lift should have come with extensions for the shift linkage that made up the 3". You just added another 3/8 inch that the linkage is not designed for.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. BadDog

The indicator clip might be ok for this IF the selector can still reach the full range of gears without binding AND the clip has enough adjustment left.

Bad Dog

6. BadDog

BTW use url instead of email pseudo-tags in your links. When I clicked you link, it tried to send email to that url. Also, I tried to look at your page but the pictures are not displayed.

Bad Dog

7. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tips, guys! I also changed the email to url. I have been doing that for weeks, and I' m glad you corrected me--I am new to the internet. The photos should display fine; check them out at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com>http://www.bigerik.coloradoK5.com</A>.

8. BadDog

Nice rigs. I love the 1 ton stuff. Wow, I can't believe what you got ($$$) in that front axle. Sheesh, I wish I had the money to play with stuff like that (although I would forgo the chrome even if I had Bill G's money). I'm budgeting only $5G for my entire project. Now, we all know that it will likely exceed that but, that is what I'm budgeting. [​IMG]

Bad Dog

9. BadDog

You know, after reading through those long descriptions, I like most of it, don't agree with all of it (but hey, that's what it's all about right?) but one thing I don't get at all.

What's up with the supermat and fiberglass?

Bad Dog

10. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

BadDog: Thanks for all the info on that clip on the steering column; I will look at that first thing tomorrow. I will have called in sick two days in a row in order to work on the trucks--where are my priorities? Also, thanks for taking the time to read my descriptions. I would be very interested in the items you disagree with as the project is dynamic and I want to steer away from lame stuff (like chrome). Regarding the Supermat, that started when I tore out the 23 yr old carpet and interior of the Blazer. It was all heavy, stinky and not waterproof. I LIVE in the Summit catalog, so the Supermat and racing seats appealed to me for that bare-bones racing interior. The tub of the '76 Blazer had MAJOR rust, so I was discouraged about using anything susceptible to water damage. A friend of mine used to make a career of fiberglass and he basically convinced me that mat/cloth/resin was the best way to complement the Supermat (I wonder how Summit expects people to use that Supermat). My money for the truck had pretty much run out, so a labor intensive/cheap solution was appealing. It turns out that some moisture did find its way into the Supermat, which is too bad. The Supermat/fiberglass floor is so thick that the metal could rust out and disappear and I would still have a floor. I also like to think that it keeps out vibration, heat, sound and would decrease injuries sustained in a fire. If I were to do it over again, I would use the Supermat and Line-X. My hard top is off 6 months a year so the interior has to be waterproof. BadDog, I am going to check out your website.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You don't need to mess with the pointer. It's telling you the truth! When you raised the body an extra 3/8's of an inch, you increased the distance between the shifter (mounted to the body) and the transmission (mounted to the frame).

Crawl under your truck and adjust the linkage so it's about 3/8's of an inch longer and you'll be all set. There's a bolt on the linkage that locks the shift rod in place, loosen that and slide the shift rod out just a bit, then tighten it back up.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

12. Where would one go to get a longer shift linkage rod? Mine is barely stuck in the flange. When driving hard offroad, I can actually pull it right out of it's bracket at the trans. It's a drag to have to get under there everytime to re-attach. Called several transmission places, most were clueless.

By the way the whole problem stems from my body lift.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Either find another piece of rod and weld it to the existing rod or fabricate a new, longer one. I'm not aware of any place that sells an exact replacement that's longer than stock.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. BadDog

You might be able to order one from one of the body lift kit manufacturers.

Bad Dog

15. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I appreciate all the responses and tips. I will be acting on those tips soon. I now have noticed that my 12V cigarette lighter isn't working--is it even possible that this could be due to additional 3/8" body lift. It worked a couple of months ago. Thanks, guys! [​IMG]