Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

After market gauges in factory gauge location?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadJap, Jul 31, 2003.

1. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi, I was wondering if there is a size of gauge that will basically just fit into a stock dash gauge location without cutting? I want to put in a tranny temp gauge in that dummy pod. (Bottom left I believe)

I'm thinking of:
    Gauge

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I believe the auto meter 2 1/16" guages fit nicely in the 4 holes on the left, the 5" guages fit perfectly in the speedo and stupid giant gas guage. I am going to put 6 new auto meters in the dash in place of the factory ones and 2 on the pillar.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt.9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi. Here's a thread I remembered reading a while back. Hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You also might want to try doing a search on "guage" or "guage pics" ... I know I've seen some other threads on this subject in the past couple of months. I like the ditigal guage you're looking at...cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also, one of my friends has the Hayden temp guage from Pepboys installed in the lower left spot, where the parking brake guage is on mine.

Good luck! And take some pics so we can see what it looks like when you're done!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guage thread

4. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

I was just on the www.73-87.com site - he did a full autometer pro-comp conversion. Looks awesome, although he had to do some cutting. I might go with autometer sport comp stuff instead since their kit comes with a sender unit - and it looks fairly stock. IMO, pillar pods look tacky.

That monster fuel level gauge cracks me up. It's like a huge reminder of how bad your gas mileage actually is.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2 on the pillar

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where can you get a pillar mounted gauge pod? 2 or 3 gauge I dont care I just really want one. Thx

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

autometer sells a kit. some are year specific and they have generic to.

7. rjfguitar

I have an autometer catalog and they don't make pillar pods for our year. I'm going to use a pillar pod from the vehicle that matches the best and go from there.

8. rjfguitar

Checked out the www.73-87.com page, good job on the guages, too bad its in a pu$$y lowered 2 wheel drive. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gifI plan on doing the same just with the ultra lite silver series guages with 2 more guages on the pillar. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Which vehicle matches the best? I am planning on doing a custom dash eventually and REALLY want a few pillar mounted gauges. Thx

10. rjfguitar

I was kind of wondering that myself, I bet probably the 88-up pickups. I am going to go over to my local speed shop and try different pods. What custom mods are you going to make? I'm going to get a new brushed aluminum guage cover, silver series ultra lite guages(5" tach were gas guage is,5" speedo in place of old, 4 in the little pods and 2 on the pillar.)new black dash, red and black leather seats, black carpet, red+black bed sides. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif