Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

After the VA Tech shooting...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 89GMCSuburban, Apr 16, 2007.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I know it's tragic...here's the deal. He had a 9mm and a .22 handgun with a vest full of clips. The serial numbers were REMOVED from the weapons, ATF believes them to be from illegal weapon dealers. He was (possibly) a Chinese national that showed up here in August on a student visa and may have called in three bomb threats in previous months to plan this.

Now here's what starting to happen...

I'm hearing a lot on the radio and TV about gun control, and a lot of people are blaming the 94 AWB expiring for being the cause of this....even though the ban would not have stopped it.

Which organization are you a member of, and which would you recommend, to defend our rights for this oncoming storm?

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS--I'M THE NRA !!!!

I'm sure this is going to stir up a bunch of *hit....

yeah it's sad and tragic,,,I just wonder how many laws there are already on the books that are not enforced that could have prevented this.

And I'm sure we'll hear all about the "warning signs" this guy had now that the damage is done.

I think if some idiot is bound and detrmined to kill a bunch of people,he's gonna do it...and if a gun is not his weapon of choice for what ever reason,,
    he's going to find a way to carry out his plan....

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

NRA and VCDL

The AWB sunset had nothing to do with this. It's a case example for how criminals will use any means necessary legal or not, to aquire firearms. Also, the student population at Virginia Tech is disarmed. Students are not alowed to carry on campus. Without a means to defend themselves, they are reliant on the reaction times of the three local PD's.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

x2... Just like food doesnt make someone fat, the person does. Its not that this guy had guns, its that he wanted to kill a bunch of people... Plain and simple.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

The NRA is definitely an organization you NEED TO belong to if you enjoy gun rights. However they are a bit too "compromising" for my taste. But for now, they are the only game in town. I strongly suggest, that if you want a "no compromise, ever" gun group, that you join Gun Owners of America. They are what the NRA should be, but they don't have the membership to make them as powerful. Lately I've been looking at Jews For the Preservation of Firearm Ownership, they may begin getting some of my dough.

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Just think how much different it could have turned out.

If there had been one or two people with concealed carry weapons properly trained in the use of said weapons in the building and took this asshole out.

8. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

X2 I was happily surprised when I stumbled across there web site.

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

X1,000,000 and thanks for the reference to the GOA and Jews with Guns (affectionatly said of course)

10. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well heres what i gotta say about the whole situation.MY girlfriend goes to tech and lucily she was sick tis morning and didnt go to campus.She came home today and we all had a long dissucission about this.She and her mother are anti gun.Im the opposite,i dont preach about them but dont have a probleem with them.But like you guys already said the students have no protection so they had no chance.If the first one had had a gun just think mabye only one or two lives would have been taken insted of 30...just my .02...the 2 ladies dont have the same opinion as me though...

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I will NEVER EVER understand how people think that banning LEGAL firearms will stop criminals from commiting crimes with ILLEGAL firearms! They must really believe that all scumbags go down to the corner gun shop and go through the official waiting periods and channels to purchase their firearms before they go on murderous rampages and sticking people up.

How will making what criminals already do MORE illegal make them give a ****? "Oh well now its not just a felony, but it is 2 felonies, that will stop them"....

Sorry for my useless post, just something that has angered me since I was old enough to form a ****ing coherent thought, and yet so many people completely miss the concept...

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Not as painful as watching that le Douche Olbermann blame Bush for the freaking shooting. This politics stuff is getting friggin ridiculous.

GOA I've heard a lot about, but the NRA is the staple. Weren't some people torqued about the NRA compromising for the 94 ban?

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I always kind of thought it was just that as I got older and more aware of politics my perspective changed. But I now realize that people are just becoming THAT much more ridiculous with their beliefs as to what and who is going on.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those gun control advocates need only look north to see how silly their idealogy is. About 15 years ago there was a similar shooting at a university in Montreal, and IIRC the asshole there took out 14 students plus himself...all in a country with arguably the most restrictive gun controls on the planet.

Bad guys don't follow rules, procedures etc etc...they don't buy legal weapons, don't register them and don't pay any attention to the gun controls that do get put into place. If you know you're gonna cap yourself at the end of the shooting spree do you care if the weapon is legal?

Unless you can find a way to uninvent the gun/rifle you're never going to be able to prevent this sort of thing by being sheep or creating restrictions that prevent people from being able to defend themselves.

This has happened often enough to justify armed security on campus's and schools IMO.

Rene

15. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I see your point, and agree, but what effect do you think the such everpresent armed monitoring would have on the general focused zeitgeist would be?

I dunno, I mean..... balancing safety and freedom is the whole underlying problem?

Maybe people should quit being so..... bad?

Man, the world is square......

16. Resurrection_Joe

I hereby publicly apologize for using such a pretentions word as "zeitgeist".

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno, they already have Campus security right? Even just a low key sidearm for them probably would have ended this a bunch earlier don't you think? i'm not suggesting Full combat gear and automatic weapons...just the ability to end a shooting spree.

Rene

18. Resurrection_Joe

That sounds very reasonable.

I apologize for not being in the proper state to have a rational discussion with you.

19. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

There is a massive movement to the "guns kill people" approach in this country. Frankly, I'm sick of it.

Why do you never hear rants and raves about the weapons that the terrorists used on 9/11? They weren't guns.

People look for scapegoats in a tragic situation. The system failed them, if guns were illegal this wouldn't have happened, etc. Frankly, I think the US needs to man up and say some people are ****ed in the head and need to be locked away for good. Personal accountability is at an all time low IMHO and instead of stepping up and saying "you screwed up", everybody is moving towards a touchy feely PC approach where nobody is ever at fault.

I could go farther but I'm tired and cranky so I'm coming off as a prick. Rant off.

20. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status