Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Afterburner headers ... damn close to tcase and pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Aug 10, 2006.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

I recently got some used afterburners for less than the cost of a cheeseburger and shake and was wondering how safe it is to run these things the way they are.... the y pipe(actually its more like the straight piece that comes is clamped to the y pipe) runs about 4 inches from the transfer case and my inline pump..... I was thinking header tape which I already have and some of that aluminum blanket heat sheild stuff.

I'd like to hear from people with these headers because I want to know if the header tape etc is necessary.... I know it is for the pump but the tcase I'm not sure.

any input would be appreciated though.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How much heat is it actually radiating at that point?

Not the same headers, but we are talking application similarity. Mine is within I'd say two inches of the transfer case, and 4 inches of the brake lines.

I'm not concerned with it, and I haven't had any problems, yet.

3. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Every situation is different and do what your comfortable with, from what you said, I would'nt be worried.

You would be amazed at how heat transfer is lessened by only a very small distance of open air space.