Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket 14 Bolt shafts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 1, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What options are there? Superior and Moser as far as I know. Not certain on Moser shafts though. Don't respond with "why?" Reasoning is actually wondering if I could get some stronger shafts then have them gun drilled to reduce weight a bit. Anyone make a higher spline shaft for the 14 bolt?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think Moser will make you anything you want for a price. I am sure Superior will too. I have seen some weird custom gun drilled stuff on Mosers site in the past. I don't think the amount of money you will spend on the custom axles to save the little amount is probably going to be high. There is probably better places to try and loose weight for less money.

Harley

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The only numbers I've seen on shafts previouslly were 17 before drilling and 9 after. 16 pounds is 16 pounds.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Jack from CTM can do some trick stuff to 14 bolts. One option is 300M double splined shafts with his drive flanges and caps. You'll have to give him a call to find out anything else.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

the new t-locker for the 14 bolt will supposedly have the option of letting you run 30, 35, or 40 spline shafts. only bad thing is the actuator is mounted on the diff cover /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm going to say Superior. My reason is I read here (I think it was the ORD forum) that they "roll" their splines as opposed to cutting them. My understanding is the rolling process makes stronger splines.

Please be sure to post an update with what and why you bought. I'll be buying shafts after the first of the year so I'm interested to know your results.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah well ORD sells Superior shafts, so yeah.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

From what I remember Moser does make them.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you're in the "save weight at ANY price" mode, the only solution is to call Sandy Cone and get some gun-drilled double-splined 300M shafts. They are as good as it gets.

j

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm wondering if you're needing to save weight that bad, why you're running a 14 bolt in the first place?

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

not to get off subject but why after market shafts for a 14bff? just saving weight, which I would kinda understand, but if its for strength, why? how many 14bff shafts have you seen break

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am all for saving weight, but I would starter higher up than the axles first.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am all for saving weight, but I would starter higher up than the axles first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Exactly, if your mega into saving weight, why even run a 14FF to start with. The whole point is its the cheapest tough as nails axle, not that its the lightest.

If you want to save weight, and retain strength, a FF D60 and 35 or even 40 spline axles would be your best bet. You have to adress the spindle size to clear this size shaft, but if your doing it to just save weight...might as well do it right the first time.

If al you want to do is get stronger 14FF shafts and don't care about weight, then I think its a valid argument.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Weight off the axles (unsprung weight) is HUGE in terms of handling and ride comfort. A small weight loss can make a huge difference. That being said, I'd look at other less spendy weight loss options first.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking about the spindle issue. Thought was 14 bolt spindles on the 60 housing with 4 spline shafts. I ahd been thinking Dana 60 the spinddle issue was the big obstacle.