Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aftermarket a/c systems? If none, then I need help relocating a/c to inside of cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RockinChevy, Feb 26, 2007.

1. RockinChevy

RockinChevy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anybody know of any aftermarket a/c systems? I've searched and all I see is shoebox-sized heaters.....I'm thinking of getting the Mohave heater from Summit and want a similiar sized system for the a/c and install them inside the cab. I live in AZ where summer temps are clolse to 118*, so I gotta keep cool sometime....

I planning on tearing out the bulky stock a/c to open up the engine bay a bit more and relocate my dual batteries in that spot.

Anybody know of anything, let me know. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also want to know if there's any way I can downsize the a/c to simple components so it is small enough to fit inside the dash... If this is possible, then explain to me the inner workings of the a/c (I know it will involve draining the r-134, lengthening hoses and such).... if this is even possible, I would use some 3" duct tubing to route them through the dash to their vents. I need help with this before I start hacking away...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I do know that vintage air offers a kit for the 73-86 chevys. I dont know why the site doesnt list anymore years then that. Maybe you can give them a call and let them know what you have. They are really nice systems from what I hear and everything mounts right behind the dash just like you want. Ask 58apache about the install he just did his. Heres a link...

http://www.vintageair.com/download/pdf_singles/48.pdf
    http://www.vintageair.com/

And if you want to know the inner workings of a properly setup a/c system then I highly reccomend a book. Theres far too much to those things to try and explain on here. I picked up a chiltons from kragen or something, I did have a little difficult time picking one up as chiltons is discontiuing their a/c books. Probably because they dont want people working on their own stuff and leaking freon in the atmosphere. And by they I mean the man! Government! Say no to regulation! j/k I dont know why they stopped producing those books. :D

3. RockinChevy

I'm looking into it.. damn work filter won't let me download pdf files and my laptop at home won't start up. I'll save this link until I get laptop fixed then look at it again.

I'm even surprised there's actually a company that specializes in this field.

I couldn't find any a/c manuals anywhere either. I only wanted to relocate the a/c and route up those ducts for the vents and wire it all up. I'm leaving the draining and recharging to those a/c tech guys.

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

My truck is a heater only truck from the factory, but the P/O installed what I assume to be a Vintage air unit. It is several years old but still works well. The firewall is flat. The Vintage air unit replaces the upper half of your heater with an A/C unit. My truck has floor heat, and upper A/C.

5. RockinChevy

That's the kind of set up I'm aiming for. I can't download the pdf files but does anybody have a rough figure on the cost?

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Damned expensive, try around $1000. :eek1: Sure you dont want just a regular stock a/c system?:haha:

7. RockinChevy

ha ha... if I can get it small enough to hide it out of the way. $1000 is a bit much.... the reason I'm curious about relocating a/c is because I will be taking my inner fenders off and stuff so the batteries and air compressor will need to be relocated to the firewall. I don't want them in the cab since I will need the space to sleep on. Also, will be getting a Premier Power Welder and maybe an on-board hot shower system. Yeah, seriously, I will be sleeping and living in the truck again.

On the other hand, I can ditch the a/c and sweat my balls off like everyone else.....

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont see why you couldnt make a small box to hold the evaporator core, orifice tube and mount the accumulator next to it. Similar to a factory setup on the firewall but a smaller custom box made to fit in the dash. I dont think it would be horribly difficult just have to be a little creative. Maybe you could form the box out of fiberglass. :dunno: Its been a while since Ive seen one but perhaps you may be able to take the rear a/c unit out of a burban and make something work.

9. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Check out the A/C for an S-10. They are smaller. Still occupy firewall space though. Might be able to fab something up.

Frankly I think it would be easier to fab up a support on the fender to mount the batteries to than mod your A/C.

10. RockinChevy

I guess I'll go do some research on it before tearing it down. That's the reason I asked for the inner components of a/c so I can determine if it can be made smaller and still function and work with the Mojave heater...

Ok, I'm gonna go search a bit more and try to find the a/c diagram. I'd rather be dirt cheap than get stupid silly for spending so much $$$.

11. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

When I got my '79 it had an after market a/c installed by a pre-owner but the engine was gone so I didn't have the compressor. I ripped it all out most of it was under the passenger side of the dash and my glove box was all hacked up pretty good to make room for it. but that was 10 yrs ago and I don't remember the manufacturer of the unit.

12. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

theres a company in arizona that also makes a kit, AMA I think. around 7-800 for the kit.

13. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

www.ackits.com
    Thats where I got mine. Instructions sucked, but it seems to work ok so far. Blower pressure is about 3 times harder then stock.