Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket CD UNinstall problem.......PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Can Can, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A couple of years ago I swapped out my factory tape deck for a Clarion CD deck. Up until now there's been no trouble.

BUT......

I have to replace some dash bulbs and because of the way the new deck is installed, I can't get the dash bezel off!!!! The deck looks like it was slid in and (I assume)bolted into place, and there's a plastic trim ring between the deck and the bezel. I bet if I broke the trim ring I could pull the bezel off without moving the deck, but then I'd have no way of reinstalling the new one.

Please tell me that I explained this right. If you know any tricks or hints fill me in because I know DICK about audio and the wife's gonna beat me if I don't replace the burnt out dash lights soon......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Aftermarket CD install problem.......PLEASE HELP

Don't break anything. You are going to have to do either 1 or 2 things to get your radio out to remove the dash. Do you still have the "keys" that came with your Clarion radio? Thats how you slide the radio out of the can/sleeve. You pop the trimring off the front of the radio and the keys slide in between the radio and can...one on each side.
    The only reason the radio wouldn't slide out is if there is a backstrap supporting the back of the radio. Stick your head up under the dash and maybe take out the heater duct and you should be able to see how to remove the strap.
    If you don't have the Clarion keys anymore, swing buy a Clarion dealer and ask if they have any extra...we always had tons of extra keys where I used to install stereos at.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Can Can

Let's see if I have this right-

Once I get ahold of the "key" that you're talking about, I can actually pull the entire "body" of the deck out, and the sleeve is left behind. Is that right? That allows me to remove the trim ring AND the bezel.

Now what about the wiring? Is only the sleeve wired? Does the deck simply plug into the back of the sleeve once it's puished all the way in?

Sorry if I sound dumb, but like I said I have no clue about the inner workings of car audio......

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok. once you undo the bolt on the back of the radio "body" (under dash work) you use the keys to pop the body loose. as you slide it out, the wiring harness should follow, you will see the plugs on the harness. unplug them and fully remove the radio. the sleeve is not wired, it just sits in the dash to hold the "body" in place.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

5. Can Can

10-4 daddy-o!!!![​IMG] I'm pretty sure I have it now......I assume that the sleeve won't get in the way when I take the bezel off. Or will it?

Any precautions to take when unplugging the deck? I don't want to short it out or shock myself or anything.

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You've almost got it right. There are 2 keys that you will need to find. One for each side. Something else you'll need to watch out for is the fact that Clarion changed their key style around 1998 or so. The old Clarion keys were huge and the newer ones are about half size, but still bigger than most. So figure out how old your radio is, so you'll know what keys to get. The stereo shop should also be able to help you with this.
    The keys slide in between the radio and the can and lock onto some tabs...then you can pull the radio out...seperately from the can. Once the deck is out then you'll be able to bend some tabs and slide the can out...the beauty ring should come with it.
    When you deal with the backstrap situation you should also unplug the wiring harness. I forgot about that part. Sometimes the wires are too short to pull the radio out all the way before unplugging it. All you need to do is push down on a tab on top of the harness plug and pull it out of the back of the radio...super easy.
    The sleeve has nothing to do with the wiring. It has no front and no back...the radio just slides through it. Old school "pullout" radios were like you described, but that stopped a long time ago. Good luck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. Can Can

Right on guys!!!! Thanks for all the info. I think I can handle it now.......of course, a monkey should be able to handle it with all the step by step I've gotten from you[​IMG]!!!!

If I have any problems, I'll be sure to let you know(like that wasn't obvious, eh[​IMG]???)