Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket EFI reliability ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zcarczar, Jun 4, 2003.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Aftermarket EFI reliability ?\'s

Ok, gots a new truck last weekend and it needs EFI. But the only thing that has got us keeping from putting aftermarket EFI on it is the reliability. We want something that isnt gonna leave us stranded out on the Hammers with no fuel or spark or something dumb. Thanks in advance.

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Re: Aftermarket EFI reliability ?\'s

I am running Howell's TBI unit.

I have had it for just over five years now. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!
    It's basically an OEM GM unit, with a Holley TBI 4 barrel.

YOu can also go with www.diy-efi.org
    OR
    Get a used one from the yard. I know, you will need to go through a lot to get it reliable though.

Not familiar nor do I know anyone running Edelbrock or Accel system.

Good luck.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

http://www.customefis.com/
    A few folks here running this. I'm getting ready to do mine as well. This guy uses STOCK GM parts to build his systems. He makes the harness and custom taylors a chip to make it work right with your engine.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've heard good things about Holley Projection but no personal experience with it...

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I really like the Holley kit because of the adjustability aspect of it, but I also like the factory retrofit FI. Does anybody have any experiences with the Holley Projection?

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you want reliability stick with the stock FI. In my opinion it is the best.
    Parts are easy to find and either GM TPI or TBI works better or as good as aftermarket stuff.
    Its pretty hard to go to your local parts house and buy a new Holley injector or other parts.
    GM stuff can be bought most anywhere.
    I have no personal experience with Holly Pro-jection because I dont like Holley FI stuff.
    I do know a few people who have used it and had problems with leaky injectors and constantly having to adjust it to keep it in tune. Even elevation changes sometimes require re tuneing the ECM. Seems like the people I know who have had it worked on it a lot.
    Pro-jection is not a closed system and canot learn and self adjust like the Stock stuff can. Pro- Jection can only run the program you load into it.
    Holley does make a closed system FI.It is the Comander series. These work better than the Pro jection but cost more. You use a laptop to program the fuel curves and operating data for your engine.
    The 1 advantage Pro-jection and Commander systems have over the stock TBI is that it is adjustable. So you can modify your engine for most any cam/heads/CR and make it run good. Wheras with the stock TBI you have to get a new chip burned if you want to do any heavy mods.
    However if you can find a stock TPI system they take to aftermarket mods well because they have a MAF sensor instead of a MAP sensor
    One hint. dont buy a used pro-jection system unless you know it works. Most of the time you will end up with someone elses problems.