Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket EFI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Mar 13, 2005.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Considering future potential for motor upgrades, I'm thinking aftermarket EFI may be a better choice.

I'd like:

400 HP power potential

Easy tuning with their device or a laptop computer

Port fuel injection

Preferably with NO stock components what so ever.

What do y'all think? Any personal experiences?

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

http://community.webshots.com/user/jacob44101 JUST CLICK HERE, under mustang

Yeah buttlick, i do. Its called http://www.megasquirt.info/ or something like that. It was installed in my 66 stang. Basically what you do is order the sofware and compter stuff from them, and then add your tbi/ mpfi to it. They guy that did mine had a holley tbi mated to the engine, and holley injectors. Ill tell you what, with the mild cam and mildly poted heads, that motor screams at will,smokes the tires for days and days,, i love it.

There is a computer mounted under the hood, and a computer/digital readout in the cab. You just plug in your laptop and go. The software for the tuning is downloadable as well. The guy said it took him 6 months to build and choose his components for the computer, (he is an engineer for Heward Packard) ,,and he said it wasnt that bad. I can go right now to my old car and tune it if i had a laptop, (but i dont) . Its supposed to be the most affordable.

You have to have some real computer know how to get it to work right i was told. They even have there own forum,(like ck5) down at the bottom of the page. Evidently the system can be used and transferred to other vehicles, because he was going to put it on his Barracuda if i diddnt want it with the car. It was on the car when i bought it , and i got a deal on it, so i paid the extra 500 for it, and im glad i did. If you were to put this system on your small block 350 with just a mild cam, it would really scream like hell. :cool1:

And i say this from experiance,,

Go with the magasquirt, it kicks ass. He said the parts for the computer were like 450, and the price of the TBI were 300 or something. If i were you , i would get one that supports the Multi Port Fuel Injection,that would be cool. Hardly no-one knows about the megasquirt, its kind of underground, not like the bigger holleys and the edelbrock companys.Kind of low budget computer geek stuff. I think thew product is exellent, i think they just dont have the money that the other bigger companys have to advertise the thing. Go megasquirt, all the way.Stick that in you pipe and smoke it.:haha: Later Timmay

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Mabey the mustang is a bad exapmle ,:haha: but its not everyday you see one running a TBI in a 66 coupe.:cool1: The point i am trying to make is that if you were to disonnect your old 84 computer , and all the BS that goes with it down to bare bones, it can be done for around 400-450 for the computer, and whatever the TBI costs,, (or whatever system you desire to use for fuel distribution ). The **ONLY** reason i am not running this system on my 85 is because of all the smog laws that apply , witch require the original computer in California. *If only.* Another thing you can do to get some MPFI is strip the stuff from an 90-92 camaro including the computer, etc etc, and put it on your blazer. I really cant beleive you are asking about the EFI stuff Timaay, it sounds like someone wasnt paying attention!!!

The funny thing is , is that I ( a person who dosent know jack and is not a wrencher according to ,,,,,,(some)) :whistle: :haha: :thumb: .... is telling YOU , the almighty know all , see all, been there done that, lord of towing etc etc, ETC ETC ,,,about what to do to get EFI. *Pissing in the wind* :haha:

All personal attacks aside, check it out, it works great, and i am very happy with it. Even a guy like me who isnt all that great with vehicles can operate it, and tune everything right there on your computer laptop. I already have the link the the tuning portion and all the stuff already if you need it, so give a holler if you need it. Lord knows ive bugged the crap out of you with my questions for the last 2 years , so if you need info just ask. BTW ive seen some other systems go for 2500 bucks, and this is like 400 bucks new, i cant beleive its not a well known company by now. I dont know about you, but the tune of 400 bones sounds a HELL of alot better than 2500 . Im here if you need me, later Timmay :grin: :haha: :bow: :waytogo: :thumb: :saweet:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

The edelbrock system kicks major a$$! Its easy to tune, you don't need a external computer. You just send them your cam profile and some other info when you install it, they send you a burned PROM and the fine tuning you do after install. Very sweet unit.:D

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm gonna bite the bullet and run TBI on my 383 then upgrade to the Edelbrock setup later on. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess what I'm looking for is more ease of adjustablilty than anything factory offers.

The Edelbrock kit doesn't impress me. It requires THEIR chip, which they'll include with their kit--but I want something adjustable, preferably with a laptop, where I can set the fuel and ignition map, not something that they decide what I need, and burn me a chip--even if it was free, I would rather be able to do it myself.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

learn to burn chips and TPI could be a great and highly adjustable setup.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TPI was designed for a 305. It lacks the HP potential I want and is not sequential firing.

No thanks, topic of this thread is aftermarket EFI for a reason.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Might look into Holleys Stealth Ram Or Commander 950 MPFI FI systems. Both support high horsepower. You use a laptop and their software to program fuel timing ECT. It has a programable ECU with No chips, No stock GM componets.

Just wanted to add the only personal experience I have with Holley FI is with Pro jection. It was Ok system but the injectors leaked and had to buy new ones. I have heard they have fixed the problem.
    Prolly wont be an issue with their MPFI systems. They (at least the one I have seen) use Bosch injectors which are very good units.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think if anything, megasquirt is the way to go.

I had *heard* awhile back that megasquirt 2 was coming, with timing control.

There was an article in car craft not that long ago (in the last year I'd say) about building megasquirt.

The "problem" that I've seen with all these systems is the cost of the fuel rails and such. When looking at aftermarket TPI setups, I noticed that rails were extremely expensive, at least IMO. I honestly never looked into what all you would need with megasquirt, so the cost very well may be great comparatively.

With intakes now being cast for "retrofit" EFI (injector bosses) I would imagine the price has started to come down on all the related stuff. It really seems though that as with putting together any system, you end up getting nickled and dimed to death.

Don't get caught up on sequential...the gains aren't as large as you'd imagine, which surprised me.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

tim maybe talk to wingnut he made a post about burning his own chips and such let me see if i can find it...

here

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tim, first let me tell you that the Edelbrock kit does allow you to adjust the fuel and timing curves from their adjustable box that comes with their kit. I'm not sure if you HAVE to use their chip but that really doesn't matter. Also TPI DOES come in sequential fire, you better go take a look at some of the TPI Vettes. All the Iroc's were batch fire and some year Vettes were sequential fire.

PS. I just built an engine for Burt4x4 and it has the Edelbrock MPFI set-up on it, maybe you should contact him and he can tell you more about it.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

When you start talking about high HP, TPI's long runners start to hold you back.

400HP at the crank I'm sure is possible with TPI, but I bet it will require a fair amount of work. It's not a simple process of putting a different chip in.

Upgraded injectors alone would be a $200 proposition with TPI, not to mention whatever kind of runners/base/plenum/fuel rail pieces you'd need to get.

14. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Edelbrock pro flo is completely adjustable.
    The eprom is just a safe base setting to start up your engine and break it in with those settings rather than nothing.
    Once its running you're tuning from the drivers seat with the handheld calibration module for the rest of the day.
    You can add fuel % and spark advance.. for idle, and for your lower VE tables.. you can tune 1,000 to 3,000 rpms in 200 rpm incriments. controlling fuel and spark.

15. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

As 4x4high and Ryan said, do some more reading.:D The Edelbrock kicks major a$$ over whats out there right now in the main streem. Adjustability, easy to tune and fix (uses all OEM sensors and parts). An overall nice system....

17. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This is for Tim, just for the record, factory sensors make it cheaper to repair and buy parts for if something were to fail versus an aftermarket part that cost more and has to be ordered. :deal:

18. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in the midst of finishing up my Edelbrock Install. Like everyone else said it is adjustable. They calibrate it at the factory with a stock setup (stock motor). From there you can go in and modify that setting to what you want. The chip is spec'd to your cam. I will fire mine up sometime this week and fine tune it and looking to take it for a drive this Saturday. Before I purchased my MPFI setup from them I emailed them because I was considering the Holley Setup, but overall, Edelbrock was the better choice. Complete with everything you need and uses OEM sensors. here is maybe one that is edelbrock. But they list part numbers for your reference in the manual they provide.

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

yeah but if somebody doesn't want to/ know how to tune they are stuck with that cam. Not a problem for most of us tho.

Megasquirt or edelbrock(I'd go edelbrock if i had the money)

If your on a budget you could always do what i did and bolt up a holley tbi, manifold, prominator, and a better pump and you will be able to handle 400 hp but thats about as far as it will go.

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Not to slam the MegaSquirt as they are a fine unit, but they are not sequential, they are batch fire.

To get sequential EFI I think you are looking at SDS (possibly), Electromotive, FAST, eec-IV (do not laugh), Motec, Haltech, EFI technologies, etc.

FWIW, I doubt you NEED sequential unless you are going to be looking for that last 1/10th HP. Then Seq. will give you the control you'd need. The OE's use it because of Emissions considerations, not HP/Torque considerations. 400 HP really isn't asking a lot of a V8. If you were talking about using an EcoTech to get 400 HP, then I can see looking at a sequential unit.