Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket fan or stock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, Jun 2, 2002.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Well I need a new fan for the engine. Nevermind how that happened. Anyways it has a small electric fan as well on the right side of the radiator. The question is, should I replace the fan with a junkyard part or should i bother trying to put in some sort of aftermarket fan for increased cooling. I'm planning on rockcrawling so it won't be getting much air flow from speed. Also, will the electric fan obstruct the air flow of the mechanical fan since it pulls less air?

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I replaced my mechanical fan with a large junkyard electric fan with a shroud. You can switch it off from the cab for water crossings which is a huge help. I have better cooling now than ever, and notice a considerable top end increase due to the fan not slowing the engine. If you plan on a body lift, an all electric conversion simplifies the process. If you want to keep your mech fan, a flex fan works good.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

With a big engine and slow speed, stay w/ a clutch fan. Big blocks are notorious for overheating at slow speed and electric fans.

John

4. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

Well somewhat sadly it's got a 350, not the big block. But would something like a clutchless mechanical Flex fan be even better than the clutch fan at low speeds since it pulls more air?

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I can tell you that I have a solid flex fan. This thing cools like none other. I do live in maine and it isn't that hot but the summer it gets in the 90's. I've been stuck in traffic and never had it touch 200. I also plow in the winter so I'm working it at low rpm's, granted, it's only in the teens when I'm working it, but it still cools the truck. Just be prepared for your truck to sound like a jet air plane with the solid flex fan.
    Ben 87 Jimmy