Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket Fuel injection .... What do you suggest

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Jun 9, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am going to add a new intake and fuel injection to my SB400 and want to know what you guys would suggest. I am looking for a low torque setup (max crusing speed of the blazer is only needing to be around 60mph) Thanks in advance.

Got a few people suggesting the Holley pro injection but what intake?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm a little biased /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif but I'd suggest sticking with factory GM TPI........especially for torque. My 406 is awful strong and I don't rev it over 4500 so there is no running out of air for me anyway. Cheaper than aftermarket too - try ebay for the hardware, Painless Wiring for the harness (or make your own from an IROC one) www.fastchip.com for a prom without VATS, www.tpis.com for other parts, www.jagsthatrun.com for a VSS generator, etc.

3. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

I have never heard one good thing about those after market injection systems. My friend has a TPI set up with harness and ECM for sale.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any info n this swap in? I want to go tbi and not multiport but I am not sure what all is involved in putting in the factory stuff. I know I can do something in kit form with no problem.

5. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I have had no problems with my holly 2d projection, I run a Edelbrock RPM air gap with mine and still retain a lot of low end.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey blazzinor,

which multiport system do you have on your 406...im building a stroker motor right now i want to put tpi on and was looking at the camaro setup but everybodys telling me to go with the corvette system...i dont even really know what the difference is, can you give me some input?

Later

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would go with a factory GM TBI before Pro-Jection. IIRC, the Holley unit is only "open loop" which hurts it and eliminates the self adjustment for altitude, etc. A number of the "engine guys" here have tried the Holley and most of them didn't like it. TBI is a bit easier and cheaper than TPI, but doesn't perform quite as well. Either system beats Holley IMO.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Rebel - using a combination IROC/Corvette system. Far as I know they are the SAME. Either will work, in other words.

Bozowise - places like www.turbocity.com have TBI setups for sale, fully ready to go if you don't feel comfortable piecing it together, etc. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm in the same boat. I'm about to swap a stock FI off a 88 onto my 75. I know these thing get real cranky about the cam. There are several places that will burn a new chip to correct for cam and displacement. Probably will need to go with larger injectores to deal with the larger cam.
    This is where the aftermarket ones are nice. You can tune them easily to handle the engine size. I know Keith is messing around with the New Holly FI. He unfortunatly had a problem and shorted out the ECM. Haven't heard if he has recieved the replacement ECM and has it up and running yet.
    While I should have my FI soon I have some health concerns about the engine I will be putting it on. So I may hold off on the conversion and find a engine or buy a crate that will match what the factory FI is set for to limit my install problems. My goal is to go all factory for ease of install and repair.
    One thing to watch out for is the intake off the newer motors need to have some of the bolt holes drilled at a different angle. Not that big of deal. Several people have made the new intakes including the TPI work on older motors. RobZilla did this swap on his 72 and is running TPI off a Z28 on the older engine.
    Regardless of what system you go with you may need to replumb the fuel lines to the tank. Something about even when there is a return line it may not be large enough to handle the volume the FI will produce. The aftermarket systems will have instructions on what to do. The Factory systems if you go with the TBI it's an easy swap to get the fuel lines and even the tank off another blazer or truck.
    Hit the second gen forum and look in the Links post. There is a ton of FI related links. Sorry about the mess that post is. I'm making a nice clean list for that divided up into topics like FI, Body parts, General repair links etc. Just haven't had a chance to finish.

10. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm going to go with edelbrocks multi port system. It comes with the doodad to mess with it so you don't have to have a lap top. But when I do it, I'm going to have to change out the cam.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh yeah, that is one more thing (Grim's post reminded me). The factory units can be repaired from plentiful Junkyard parts, most any auto parts, and you might even find someone on the trail with parts to help out. Good luck with repairing a Holley unit at 10 p.m. on Saturday night over 100 miles from home, 20 miles from the nearest decent sized town.

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've ran the Holley 2Di for a year and a half with no problems on my sb400. Used a stock chevy adapter off of a '90 1-ton to mate it to my Eldelbrock intake.

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Humm choices, choices

14. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I am running a STOCK 93 350 TBI setup in my 71 Jimmy with a 700R4 auto. I have loads of bottom end due to the engine and gear reduction of the tranny. There are many ways to do the injection systems, and I have run several including an alcohol system on a dragster with 160 #/hr injectors and Cal Com software. But the best easiest and cheapest deal is a factory setup and a great book is Motorbooks "How To Tune & Modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson. It covers all factory FI systems and has a lot of good tricks in it. I just run a completly stock Throttle Body Injection as it is super simple and verrrry cheap.

SG

15. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Go with factory parts fer sure! Edlebrock and holley systems are overpriced for what they deliver.

The nice thing about factory parts is resources like www.diy-efi.org/gmecm if you are the do it yourselfer. With a few tools, some soldering and such you can reprogram your chips to get rid of VATS, bend the spark curve, adjust the fuel map, etc. I have about $300 invested in tools / software but it is worth it when people are charging $100-250 for a custom prom (sheesh!). Buy the tools and you can reprogram unlimited times to fine tune the install to your combo.

If you are hard core diy guy checkout this:
    http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

16. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

EXACTLY...........great post. I'm going this way when I get around to it....... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Ok the factory FI people have it. Now where do I get the factory stuff from? Do I need to go to a wrecking yard, order it from GM is there a complete factory kit avail. somewhere? Anyone have some stuff forsale. I just need to know what and where to find my goodies.

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I think most of the 'aftermarket' ones use factory GM components.
    the edelbrock computer is a factory GM computer with a custom chip.

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.turbocity.com has 'kits', among others............but you'll save $$ by piecing it via a boneyard. Check the for sale boards here and at www.thirdgen.org for parts/units/systems.