Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket fuel injection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stormin, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

I'm considering an aftermarket throttle body fuel injection system for my blazer. Anybody running one? If so do you love it or hate it. The one I'm looking at is the Holly Pro-Jection system (it's the cheapest I've found, $870 at Summit). Also, how much of a pain in the ass are they to install/calibrate?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Lots of folks run the aftermarket setups without too many issues... but dropping a stock GM EFI on there is the best way to go. Good luck going to Autozone/Napa/Carquest/etc on a Sat to buy parts for your Holley system.

You can get a system off most any 87+ GM truck in a local yard for around $500. Get the ECM, harness, TBI, and whatever sensors look usable. You'll need to get an O2 bung welded into your crossover pipe at an exhaust shop, and then its just a matter of cleaning up the harness and getting an adapter to drop the TBI on top of your existing intake.

Drop me a PM if you want to give it a shot or have questions.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have a holley 670 cfm tbi, holley projection manifold, larger fuel pump, and will be getting a prominator and laptop so i can burn my own fuel maps. that setup will support 350+ hp... if you want the projection tbi setup to support more than 275 hp you need to burn a new fuel map.

But if you already have tbi then your best bet is to get a edelbrock mpfi (supports 500 hp and alot better idle, gas mileage, and off idle tq)setup... they cost right around 1k and edelbrock will burn you a chip... just make sure they get it right the first time.

The stock setup is the best if you don't need performance but your VERY limited with that size tbi as far as power goes.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Unless something has changed very recently, the Edlebrock TBI to MPFI conversion only supports a bone stock TBI engine OR one with the Edelbrock cam and heads. When I asked them about a custom chip they told me that they ONLY offer those two chips. But they did refer me to a guy in Denver that could burn a custom chip for the MPFI setup, for $600! :eek1:

Their complete standalone MPFI that comes with a computer, wiring, etc. is quite tunable. But it'll set you back $2,600 or so... :doah:

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

the guys on here said you tell edelbrock your cam, heads, etc. and they burn you a chip when you buy the system... It is made to support a bone stock tbi 350 but it will support upwards of 500 hp... but it needs the stock ecm and harnesses to run off of.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

:yikes: 1200 bucks for a tbi system?!!

why not got to a junkyard and get a harness, sensors, and ecm and buy a much better more effiecient multiport system for a couple hundred more?

The stock tbi will HAVE to be replaced if your looking for performance. Unless you went with a stock 454 setup... the holley 670 that i have is actually bigger than a stock 454.