Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aftermarket fuel injection...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Jul 22, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I need some opionions on the aftermarket fuel injection kits available. I have a performance built 406small block with an edelbrock performer Q-jet. I am looking at the holley commander multi point and TBI systems.Is the multi point a lot better than the TBI ( worth the extra 700 somthing bucks)?What about the edelbrock multi point system
    compared to the holley system? I know that the edelbrock system has the little key pad monitor thing to contol the system and that sounds very conveinient. Is my edelbrock Q-jet a terd and should I just get a better carburetor?Thanks for any help. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Go for a system that uses a MAF sensor and not the MAP....

Look for sequential fuel injection, not batch fire....

The above two things will help steer you towards a quality system.

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I like accel DFI (a multi point system)... just be ready to drop around 3G's.
    My theory on fuel injection (which I LOVE!!!) is don't do do it unless you can go all the way. That is, given your 406ci set-up, I would strictly go with hi CFM multi piont set-up. If you can't do that, get a good carb and save 'til you can.
    I have to tell you though, I don't know anyone running the aftermarket EFI, so I haven't seen any of this in person. From what I've read in mags (CHP, Car Carft) the Accel DFI w/ CalMap 2 software is king....

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks guys, I've heard of accel and that they are very good also, I will check them out some more. I deffinently need a lot of cfm, I'm thinking around 1,000cfm throttle body.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bet if you calculate it out, You would be surprised at how much CFM you really need. I acutally gained 22 Horses at the rear wheels of my Chevelle switching from a 750 CFM to a 650 CFM. The motor is far from stock also. I have a 900 CFM Holley system on the Built 454 in my Blazer and I am constantly leaning down the fuel map to get it to run decent. Its just too much CFM for it. I have considered going to a smaller unit so its easier to tune.

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Fuel injection can control the air/fuel mixture unlike carbs...

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Fuel injection does it with a computer, Carburators do it with rod and jet changes. Call up Holley or Edelbrock and talk to thier techs. They would give you the strait story.