Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket/ Homemade Bumpers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 23, 2000.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok people I have decided I am going to try to make a prerunner bumper in shop class this year. I am going to talk to my teacher on Tuesday. What I need though is pictures of any of you guy's aftermarket bumpers where they bolt on to the frame. I have the whole thing figured out that I am explain to him except how I am going to mount it to the frame. I want it real solid. Any ideas? Also if anyone has made anytype of pre runner style bumper or anything close, please send me some pics if you can, it will help me alot. Plans would like be the best thing in the world for me right now, you have no idea how much they would help me if you have some! For the pics, you can either post them on the web somewhere or e-mail them to me at dawson444@aol.com Thanks!

PS- I know someone on here has made a prerunner bumper. I have talked to them in the chatroom. They had a website, it was biohazard racing I think, there was a red K5 on there. Who's Blazer was that? What was the web address? Thanks again!

Dawson
    88 K5

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Come-on people I know ya'll have aftermarket or homemade bumpers.

Dawson
    88 K5

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should try to contact Steve Watson with off road design and see if he can send you pics of his bumpers. They are prerunner style and extremely strong. WWW.offroaddesign.com

4. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

stephen watson is a good person to talk to if you can get him on the phone, he loves to talk too.
    i had custom bumpers built for my k5. first i talked with stephen watson, then i went to local welding shops and asked for estimates. then i went to my friend dean avery with the ideas i had gotten from all those people and built a stout bumper.
    also, think about what you want out of your bumper; lights/how many, reciever/winch mount, brush guard, etc.
    when it comes to mounting to the frame: go too big and youll rip the frame horns off, go too light and there goes your new bumper. i used half inch thick plates with about four mounting holes, two for tow hooks. i also wanted it tight to the body for better approach angle. sorry i dont have any good pics of it, yet.
    good luck,
    MTPockets.

5. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

While mine are not exactly a prerunner style your more than welcome to copy the ideas. The front bumper is fairly simple. the main deck sits on top of the frame rails and is made out of 1/4 plate for a winch. The center is again 1/4 and it's angled so that if I come up to a berm it will push the front up to get over what everis in the way. In deep water it tends to push the water out to the sides and keep the grill from getting a straigh shot as long as its not over the bumper. It has a Receiver also that has come in handy moving trailers around. The side plates are 3/4 plate and bolt dirrectly to the Frame. they have holes for clevis's. the outer section are 4x4 box and hold air. They are at a 7 deg angle to follow the curv of the truck. If you got something that can handle bending the plate and cutting the 3/4 it's a real simple bumper. The rear is simular design just using 1/4 plate for the center.
    Just click the link below

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Dawson, here's that Bio Hazard Racing website you asked about. http://www.toyboxoffroad.com/moose/ Not sure who's truck it is, but the address was posted before and I think they refered to him as Moose. Good Luck with the bumper !
    - Jay