Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket intake manifold modification

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JIM88K5, Jun 12, 2002.

1. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I can only find two intakes for TBI motors. One is a Holley, the other is G.M. Performance w/ Vortec heads.
    Would a 1/4 in aluminum plate with the TBI positioned
    in the center work well ? Or is there some black magic
    involved in the placement of the TBI on the manifold.
    Or is there an issue with plenum volume ? I can find at
    least a half dozen smblk intakes w/egr but they are all
    for carbs. A trick carb spacer-adapter plate may give
    many more intake choices.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What's wrong with this one from Edelbrock?

Performer T.B.I. (Idle-5500 RPM)

Designed for 1987-1995 305/350 c.i.d. (5.0/5.7L) Chevy Throttle Body Injection (T.B.I.) engines. Ideal for trucks, Blazers and Suburbans. #3704 is stock replacement/street legal part for 305 and 350 V8s with OEM T.B.I.; 1987-94. T.B.I. water jacket similar to stock. Accepts all OEM equipment and small-bore (1-11/16") throttle body injectors only. No chip changes or computer mods required unless entire 5.7L Power Package (manifold, cam, heads) is used. Computer chip (E.O. #D-215-13) is supplied free of charge with proof of purchase of manifold, cam and heads. The chip re-programs your computer for optimum power gains when the entire package is installed. This Total Power Package greatly improves performance.

Performer T.B.I. (EGR) #3704
    Injector Recommendations:
    Use stock Throttle Body Injection unit

Installation Notes: Recommended intake gasket: GM #10159409. Manifold Height: A-3.70", B-5.10", see manifold selection page, .250" taller than stock

I found it listed on this page: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_sbchev.html It's about 3/4's of the way down the page. You can price it at www.summitracing.com by searching on the part number. It should be EDL-3704. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I think Edelbrock makes an adapter to fit the throttle body on any holley flange intake. Holley has P/N 17-41 Adapter - TBI (spread bore to TBI flange) and P/N 17-45 Adapter - TBI (square bore to TBI flange) for their projection TB but I'm not sure if that works with a stocker.

It's pretty damn easy to search for this stuff at www.google.com /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Probably nothing wrong with it, but it won't work well a 383 vortec. I'm starting to collect the components for this build up now. I have a complete roller cam vortec 5.7 . Just need the rebuild parts and I want a good intake. Or should I say I want something a little more trick...
    Jim

5. HarryH3

Ahh, that makes a difference. When I read this: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I can only find two intakes for TBI motors. One is a Holley, the other is G.M. Performance w/ Vortec heads.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought that you couldn't find many intakes for a TBI motor, and that you had found one from Holley and the one from G.M. Performance that is made for the Vortec heads. I didn't read it as you have Vortec heads and want to use TBI with them. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif There aren't many combinations available for that setup. Yet. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I think that as the demand grows, the aftermarket will step up to the plate with the right stuff.

An adapter may work, but you'll have to look carefully at the way fuel is distrubuted from where the carb mounts. You want the fuel to be evenly distributed to all the cylinders, so none of them are running too lean. A dual plane intake may not distribute the fuel properly. I'd suggest a call to Edelbrock, to see if they can offer any suggestions.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There is a stock Chevy adapter that will work. When chevy went to the TBI, they still had many manifolds for the older carb. They used an adapter untill the manifolds were used up. I pulled mine off an '90 1 ton truck in the junkyard bolts and all. It also has the plumbing connections to run water through it which I did not use. Price was $15 bucks and I can use my Eldelbrock intake.

7. HarryH3

I've got one of those water heated adapters out in the garage. It came with the 454 throttle body that I bought at a junkyard. What an odd setup for a factory fuel injection system, eh?

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I think I read about Sandmans adapter in a different post. That may be an option.
    Jim.

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

It wasn't a trick question. I'm just sayin for a TBI there are only two intake manifolds on the market. An adapter would open the door wide for intake options. I check the Edelbrock website once in a while for new stuff. They have tons of new stuff but for carbs. I'll come up with something slick I'm sure, I'm asking if anybody had the same thoughts or ideas. Holley makes an adapter but I can't find any info on it.
    Jim

10. HarryH3

But we've already proved that this statement is incorrect: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm just sayin for a TBI there are only two intake manifolds on the market.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Now, if you say that there are only two intake manifolds on the market that will let you use TBI with Vortec heads, then that is a true statement. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Leaving out the part about using Vortec heads was the source of confusion, as there are more intakes available for TBI engines. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif