Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

aftermarket mods for 6.2s? anything?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sled_dog, Oct 6, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm thinking about getting a 6.2 for a daily driver. Haven't found one yet but would like to. Is there anything to be done to them to hop them up a little? Hot Diesel would be fun to me.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Remove the EGR or get a J code intake, port match the intake, get bigger exhaust, get a turbo. Those will all help. I noticed a small power gain just with the intake mods. Still need larger exhaust though.

Lastly, don't expect Cummins type gains or power...

Rene

3. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Your biggest performance gains will come in the form of a Banks turbo kit. They advertise somewhere in the nieghborhood of 250hp and 400lb-ft. I highly recommend a HD injection pump and the Phaser dual idler gear timing set. They really increased my throttle response and top end. The timing chain in the 6.2L stretches out and can retard your timing by 5 degrees eventually. You can rotate the pump to compensate. If you can't afford the turbo, go for a true 2.5-3" dual exhaust with a balance pipe and high flow muffs. Have fun!