Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket parts suck (LMC in particular)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Aug 5, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yet again, when faced with the choice of no GM part, I went with LMC, and was let down.

First it was the rear window seal (the u-channel) made incorrectly, now it's the seal that is glued to the topper and runs the length of the bed, sealing the tailgate edge and cab edge as well as the bedsides.

First off, it's about 4" too short. That could be normal (?) as it looks like it will stretch quite a bit. Of course the factory one I pulled off is the right length, but that could be from the 20+ years it's been there.

Anyway, the best part...each end is retained with one screw. Have the top upside down, screwed the rear part down, then laid it down the bed it is glued to. Stretched it towards the front screw, get it around the bend, and realize the end I'm looking at is the exact opposite of what it is supposed to be. Pull the other seal out, lay it down, yep. If I cut both seals in half, then swapped the halves, I'd have the correct seals. Looked at the two SPARE tops I have that still have the factory gaskets, there is no difference among the 3 stock pieces, LMC's stuff is yet again made incorrectly.

Haven't heard of anyone else having this problem, I hope this is an isolated problem that they found and corrected. Now I've got the top off, pieces in the yard, and no gaskets. :( Get to call back Monday because customer service is already closed.

No offense to any Thai folks out there, but quality control in Thailand (all 3 mis-made pieces are bagged "made in Thailand") is apparently a foreign concept.

Yet again, if GM makes the piece you want (especially weatherstripping) buy it from them, regardless of cost.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I will steer clear of those then . I did get good body mount hardware from them though . Glad I didn't restore the interior and weatherstrp this year then .

3. dyeager535

To their credit, they've been more than happy to work with me (up to a point, which is when I tell them how to fix the problems, then they no longer listen) but they really need to test these parts before releasing them.

For everyones viewing pleasure, here are 3 pics of the one side.

[​IMG]

Looking good on this end, very similar to stock, good job.

[​IMG]

This view, you can see how far off the length is. Still, not going to say that is "wrong", these gaskets are pretty stretchy. If I straightened them out, they'd be a bit closer in length.

[​IMG]

And here you can see the problem. My truck is rusty on the inside because of the leaks in this exact area, I am not going to tolerate mistakes this big, that may continue the problem in this area.

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I replaced those exact seals a couple years ago using the LMC stuff and didn't have the mismatch problem on the end like that. They were a bit short though but after leaving them in the sun for an hour they streched and worked out nicely. I used 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue them down. Also replaced the 2 other seals on the top, and the window channel using their parts.

5. dyeager535

I just test fit the outer seal that joins the top to the body, that one appears to be the exact rigth length.

Window channel problem I had was from a couple of years back, the lower section of that seal is wider than the rest of it, but the LMC piece was the same width all the way around, and the metal clips they used as retainers were soft and not springy, so the gasket isn't held in very tight. Had it fall down a couple of times even.

Sent them a sample of the stock piece to illustrate the problem to their (supposed) R&D section, but never heard back.

6. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

358589-LH
    358590-RH
    GM's Portland Distribution Center has a few of each...
    Book list is $74.69 wholesale is $56.05 each. How many you guys want ?

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have had a mixed experiance with LMC as far as parts go but they have always been good as a company. It sucks when it is either LMC or GM who has the parts cause I can never afford the GM parts

8. dyeager535

Appreciate the offer!

I dunno why I decided to buy these from LMC, for some reason I must have thought GM disco'd them.

Since I spent money on these, and others have had luck, if LMC offers to make good, (which means me not spending a dime to get this problem fixed) I'll give them the chance. Would rather get my moneys worth out of these if you know what I mean.

However, if they can't make good, might be shooting you a PM. :)

Even if GM stuff is "expensive", how much time/effort/hassle does getting the wrong/bad part cost you in the end?

9. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I replaced those seals on my blazer with LMC seals last year and they fit very well. After strectching just a little, they were perfect. To this day they have done a perfect job - absolutely NO LEAKS!! Some of their parts are not up to GM part quality, but have replaced my worn out parts and improved my blazer. Not much choice on 30 year old trucks!

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I just got the side windows gaskets for my suburban from them. Haven't tried installing then yet. Will post up with results when I install everything.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to be getting a set of those soon too. Along with the cab seals, just as a preventative maintainance for my hardtop.

Now I'm not 100% sure which ones to get...

I'll probably still go with the LMC ones... I'll just make sure to take advantage of the Texas heat to stretch 'em out before I mount 'em. Thanks for the heads up, though.

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Wow, thats crazy. I just got all new seals for the wifes 89. they all fit fine! But i know what you mean about the Quality. I would rather buy GM parts. but sometimes they are not available or to damn expensive!! I seem to do OK with LMC. I ordered new outer door handles for the truck. They sent me 2 passenger side handles, no drivers side. Called them up and 3 days later had the other side! No questions, no additional charges! I ordered some new power door lock switches and a bunch of other small parts. the box came, but No lock switch's. Just got them in the mail. No problem, no charges. I wish I could have gotten A GM drivers 1/4 panel though. That aftermarket looks like crap!! Even after paint, you can tell!

13. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

I got the rear window gasket for the top from LMC and the fit was off and it's now a faded gray in color. :confused:

14. dyeager535

I wasn't going to mention it, but the "felt" covering that those gaskets come with was peeling off on mine when I received it, and it's now missing from a large portion of the gasket where the window rides.

Like I said, pay for GM's stuff, it will fit, AND it will last as long as the originals. My LMC rear window gasket looks almost as bad now as the one I took off that was over 20 years old. It just hasn't cracked yet.

Obviously I've just gotten a couple of bad batches of parts from them, it sounds like for the most part their stuff isn't bad on fit. But twice on things this large is annoying when you are trying to get something done on the truck.

15. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

We need some industrious, industrialist, CK5er to go into business and remanufacture these parts right... unfortunately that's not me. :D

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i just ordered some hard brake lines from then they better fit for the cost, and i meen damn well perfect!!

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have had good dealings with LMC. They are well-established, and not a "fly by night" company, which will close their doors, and walk away with your money like some companies. Many of their foreign vendors products are of a very inferior quality. The problem is that since manufacturing has gone almost completely away in America, you don't even have the option of spending more money to get better quality on some parts, even if you wanted too...anymore.

18. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Dorian

I just did all the seals in my crewcab... from a life in the arizona heat they were dried out...
    I went to this company and found their stuff as good or better than GM in both quality and fit... as well as knowledge of the staff

Precision Replacement Parts Group
    17111 Tye ST SE
    Monroe Wash 98272
    800-367-8241

I was turned onto them from JC Whitney,,whom they supply.. thses are first rate US made seals.... they make em.. they dont come from Taiwan... everything fit exactly...

cam

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had good luck with their top seals. Mine fit nicely and don't leak.

I wish I could say the same about their replacement door panels. THEY ARE CRAP! Within a year they were cracked up and the paint was coming off.

20. dyeager535

Monroe eh? They have a swap meet up there... :)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to talk to them. This is like a lot of things, find out good/bad after the fact.