Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket parts vs. GM parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mofugly13, Jul 5, 2003.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I just picked up my crate 350 for $1295.00 + $100 core. Good price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then I boght a new damper, water pump, and motor mounts, among other things. The dealer charged me $85.66 for the damper, $100.76 for the water pump and $170.84 for two new motor mounts. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif This is with the supposed %20 discount. I checked the prices at NAPA and Kragen, they want about $60 for a damper, $40 for the water pump and motor mounts are $8-$10 each! I believe the NAPA parts are Belknap(sp?). The Kragen water pump is GMB. Whey shouldn't I return these three parts to the dealer and buy the cheaper parts? The GM damper is made in China, so Im not paying more 'cause it's made in USA. I probably will keep the damper,though, 'cause it's the only thing that wasn't OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced. Even GM parts direct was cheaper by $30 on the pump and $50 on a set of mounts. I know that you get what you pay for, but I'm sure there's a set of mounts out there for less than $170 but still good quality. I'd order from GM parts direct but I need to install this new motor ASAP and don't have time to wait for parts in the mail. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

Go to your closest Race shop and you can get an aluminum water pump, Fluid Dampner Harmonic Blancer and Poly engine mounts. All this and you will still save a few dollars left with the best parts.

3. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I used to work for GM in there parts dept, and those prices do seem high. I would do what 1972Blazer said and go get aftermarket parts.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Prices for parts from GM dealers are usually just STOOPID! I never buy parts there, unless it's a part that is ONLY available from a dealer. Stick with brand name aftermarket parts and you will seldom be disappointed (and many times you will be buying the exact same part that GM has had the same company put into some GM packaging /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    (and many times you will be buying the exact same part that GM has had the same company put into some GM packaging /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. I see sometimes the same items repackaged at the local aotu parts store that the dealer sells for 3 times more money. You always pay more for dealer parts. You can find just as good, if not better parts outside of them, and usually for far less money.

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i baught a 350 crate also and the only G.M. parts i got was the oil dip stick. everything else is aftermarket, intake,feul pump, water pump,etc. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. boggerless

i just remembered, A HUNDRED DOLLAR CORE? i did not have to pay that and if it's a new engine what are they doing with that core? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. mofugly13

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. I'm keeping my core anyway. I hope my block is still good 'cause I wanna build it into a 383 to swap back into my Blazer a few years down the road when this motor get's tired.

And the parts I did get aren't in GM packaging either, they're all AC Delco.

9. boggerless

yea, i kept my block (160.000 + miles and it didn't even tick) no kidding.it would foul out the #8 plug every 6 month's, a bad valve seal. i would just swap it it with the #3 plug and everything was fine. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That is a greedy dealer, don't go back. I have several dealers in my area call them all and you get three different prices. A local guy has the rights to be a dealer, and to a certain degree it is his business and can control the mark-up how he sees fit. GM is only going to bash him if he doesn't move any cars, they don't care if they sell parts or probably don't care if they give crappy service in the shop....

11. mofugly13

I have to go back, but just to return the mounts and water pump. Also to give him my VIN and mileage for warranty reasons. They did have a good price on the motor tho'.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I don't understand that core charge either. Give them back their parts, and tell them next time to use Vaseline....

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I dont care what anybody says but aftermarket parts just plain SUCK! They never fit right and almost always cause problems. Yes, GM parts are more expensive but I feel that the OEM parts fit better and work much better than cheap aftermarket parts. O yeah, I get nearly all of my OEM parts for 10% over cost and I still paid over $120 for GM motor mounts.

14. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I trust companies like Holley, Mallory, Accell, Energy Suspension, Fluid Dampner, I guess it is all a matter of taste and what you are willing to spend on parts. I have never been cheap on parts and always want the best for the hard earned cash I spend. I just can not see spending that much for a set of No Name Motor Mounts that are just metal plates with volcanized rubber holding them together. I know they didnt spend that much on engineering them. Every part has its intended customer!

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont care what anybody says but aftermarket parts just plain SUCK!

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like a guy that works at a GM dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've seldom used GM parts, in the last 30 years of fixing my own junk. Poor fitting parts haven't been a problem for me, though I shy away from no-name stuff. I at least wanna see Borg Warner, Moog, Dana, etc. on the name on the box. If the writing on the box is in Chinese, I move on... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont care what anybody says but aftermarket parts just plain SUCK!

[/ QUOTE ] I couldn't dissagree more !!! You can't get the preformance out of factory parts that I want. Compare a OEM U-joint to one from CMT. The aftermarket is for those of us who don't settle for factory stock. Yes, there are cheap crap for parts out there, but not all aftermarket products are. Remember, there is quality also. I never had a problem with parts fitting, but then, I normally use names like "Melling, Wieand, Hooker, MSD, World Products, Holley, Cloyes, Crower, Comp cams",...ect.

17. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

with what ive seen, sometimes its good to use aftermarket
    and sometimes its good to use oem,i just recently went to
    gm and they wanted 120.00 bucks for three studs and cone washers ( no nuts) to mount a steering arm, where as the
    aftermarket, you can get the whole set including nuts for 35.00, but sometimes you need the part now, and dont have time for the mailman to bring it, and gm is nice because
    some of them are open till 1 or 2 am, when you cant wait
    till morning to fix it, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif what to do ? that is the question,

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    with what ive seen, sometimes its good to use aftermarket
    and sometimes its good to use oem,i just recently went to
    gm and they wanted 120.00 bucks for three studs and cone washers ( no nuts) to mount a steering arm, where as the
    aftermarket, you can get the whole set including nuts for 35.00, but sometimes you need the part now, and dont have time for the mailman to bring it, and gm is nice because
    some of them are open till 1 or 2 am, when you cant wait
    till morning to fix it, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif what to do ? that is the question,

[/ QUOTE ] I've never seen a dealership open that late. But yeah, some parts you just can't get anyplace else other then dealerships or salvage yards, and sometimes, the salvage yard parts just isn't a option.

19. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

GM mounts are expensive. I priced some out over a year ago for my 84 K10 pickup ang he said $65.00 dollars each. I nearly fell out of my chair and bought the $10.00 dollar ones from NAPA instead. I should have bought the GM mounts cause my NAPA mounts are bad allready. I guess time does tell the quality of what you pay for, do the right thing. Aftermarket Jap Crap sucks, buy genuine GM parts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

you think you have it bad, most of the parts like that for my luv has to be ordered from japan so it costs a small fortune and takes a month to get here. So i have always just ordewred the stuff from schucks. So far so good, all 4 motor rebuilds i have helped and done have had those parts on em and they are just fine. Though i havent had to replace motor mounts yet (small cube motors dont wear them at all)