Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket seat mount questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Mar 12, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have some simple but just redone Honda Prelude seats that I want to install into the '73 Blazer.

Basically, I need to raise these 6" off the floor.

One option was to use 1x1 or 2x2 as legs 6 inches tall and triangling some metal rods. So this would be a box of 1x1 as posts and using rods at the opposite corners so it won't collapse. Is this safe?

www.geocities.com/nhromyak/seatmount.html

OR (the bottome three in the clicky)
    I was thinking of stacking and welding some 2x2 .120 wall into a square as needed. Is this over kill?

I HATE the factory passenger seat release mechanism. This makes the passenger side wobbly... even the factory seat was wobbly.

Other suggestions?

TIA

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

clicky no worky any one else try

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I reset the page.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I made mine out of 1/8" thick rolled steel shaped like c-channel with flanges on it. That way, the bolt holes to mount to the floor can remain stock, and you adjust the height the seat sits at by increasing the height of the box. Then all you do is bolt the seats on their factory sliders to it, and wahlah they're in. If you are worried about strength, you could weld in gussets at the corners, but I don't think it is necessary. I've yet to see or feel mine flex.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, but I am having a hard time seeing this in my mind. I think I understand what you mean, by raising and lowering it. I might do this for the drivers side.

I am not worried about flexing. I am worried about an accident. I don't want the "box" to collapse if some bozo hits me from behind, or in front.

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I'll take some pics and post them for you. If I get hit hard enough to collapse the box, then I'll be seriously f*'d up and probably more dead than alive...LOL.

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My Brother-in-laws kids go for rides with me once-in-awhile (more so than my wife). My Bro is questioning my engineering ability and the safety of his kids.

This is why I am asking. Looking at my leg version... it looks DAMN stronger than the stock folded sheet metal mounts! He just keeps going on about it collapsing...meaning

rear of truck / seat mount box collapsed /

/ / type collapsing

As opposed to it all being 90 degrees.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Can you open CAD files? If so, I can send you a drawing.

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I MIGHT be able too....

Send it over... worse case, maybe I can get a shareware converter for Visio.

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option to try - ask http://www.seatsource.com if they have an adapter that might work...............I used their adapter that came with the Flofit seats I put in my Blazer, nice units.